• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omnisphere Multichannel-Instrument in Logic

Share/Bookmark

Question Omnisphere Multichannel-Instrument in Logic

Hi there everybody ... is there someone out there who uses Omnisphere as a Multi-Channel-Instrument in Logic? - My objection is, to have i.E. 8 Tracks, and each one is assigned to a single Stereo-Channel. So I can record, edit, fade etc. for each instrument individually and so i can edit the logic-parameters for each instrument individually as well. (i.e. add an logic-Effect like Spacedesigner to Omnisphere Instument Nr. 3 only).

I made several effforts to do so, but the omnisphere-guide refers to the Logic-Manual. - And the Logic manual is not very rich in information on that. Thanks a lot for any hint on this topic. - Regards:

Bernhard

Re: Omnisphere Multichannel-Instrument in Logic

It basically works the same way Stylus RMX or any other multi-output works in Logic Pro.

1. Open a multi-output version of Omnisphere.

2. Set the Mixer to "Single" view. On the software instrument channel strip is a small plus sign. Click it as many times as you need to create Auxes for individual control of the sounds.

3. Inside Omni, assign a sound to each MIDI channel and in Pmni's Mixer, route the outputs. I recommend bypassing Output A and going with 7 auxes because if you use Logic's automation, automating the main output creates havoc if you automate the auxes differently.

And BTW, you will notice that generally the Omni multis that come with it are limited to 3-4 sounds. Omni is a RAM hog so you may want to keep that in mind.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Is it less CPU to use it as a multi than separate instances, when you want more than one Omni in a project?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    Omni is a RAM hog so you may want to keep that in mind.
    That's a rather harsh and unfair characterization. It implies that it is wasteful. The truth is it is rather efficient with your RAM. For example, Omnisphere features sample streaming, which allows you to employ large samples without loading them entirely into memory. Further, there are controls you can use to adjust the amount of memory used. Is Omnisphere an ambitious instrument? Yes. We never intended it to be a small and simple instrument. But, is it wasteful? The answer to that is "no".

- Glenn

It's much easier on your CPU if you create one 8-channel multi than if you open 8 individual Omnispheres.

Keep in mind that like every other plugin one instance of Omni can only run on a single core in the computer.
    In my Logic template i have 4 Omnisphere instances.
    One for pads, one for arps, one for FX and one for solo sounds.
    I use the additional parts in each instance mostly for stacking patches.
    Logic will distribute the load to 4 cores so i can have more voices and stacked parts on each instance.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    That's a rather harsh and unfair characterization. It implies that it is wasteful. The truth is it is rather efficient with your RAM. For example, Omnisphere features sample streaming, which allows you to employ large samples without loading them entirely into memory. Further, there are controls you can use to adjust the amount of memory used. Is Omnisphere an ambitious instrument? Yes. We never intended it to be a small and simple instrument. But, is it wasteful? The answer to that is "no".

- Glenn
    Well first of all, Glenn I am a huge Spectrasonics fan and I always tell my Logic clients/students that if there is one "must have" outside of what comes with Logic, it is RMX and that Eric is a genius. I am on your NAMM video praising you guys.

That said. there is no software instrument that I use or am aware of that uses more RAM than Omnisphere. Now that may not mean it is wasteful but by my definition of " RAM hog" that makes it a Ram hog.

And yes, I know that those controls exist but probably 90% of users either do not or do not adjust them and I guess you guys don't by default because the sounds are more impressive as they are, out of the box.

So as great as Omnisphere is, and it is amazing sounding, unless you are going to have an Omnisphere only Logic project, IMHO you have to be a little judicious in your use of it.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler View Post
    Keep in mind that like every other plugin one instance of Omni can only run on a single core in the computer.
    In my Logic template i have 4 Omnisphere instances.
    One for pads, one for arps, one for FX and one for solo sounds.
    I use the additional parts in each instance mostly for stacking patches.
    Logic will distribute the load to 4 cores so i can have more voices and stacked parts on each instance.
    Hello Friends ... thanks for all the hints given. I Think, what Hans Scheffler does, is what fits best to my concern. I want to use Omni in different Channels like seperate Synths. - So why not do so? Good Idea, Hans ... I just thought, to use it as a Multi-Instrument it would not be so RAM-hungry.

The Opposite is the case.

I have a MacPro with 4 Cores. If I use a Multichannel-Omni with - let me say - 6 Instrumentparts, it will use one core and send this CPU to red alert somewhere up in Betageuze.

If I use 4 Instances in four different channels, each instance get´s its own Processor-Core, and none of them goes berzerk.

Thanks to everyone.
    Praise Omni!
    *soprano*
    "I Love You".

Regards ... Bernhard (Palatin)

Go Back to forum