• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help Steinway B problems...what gives?

Share/Bookmark

Help Steinway B problems...what gives?

I recently got Gigastudio 164 from Soundchaser, along with a 1 gig PC with a Dakota card. 512 megs of ram. The system works great, but I cannot for the life of me get the East West Steinway B to work without HUGE, and very LOUD pops and clicks. We\'ve tried two different sound cards, we\'ve adjusted the cache, and tried two sets of Steinway B CDs. No luck. No one at East West, or at Soundchaser, can figure out what is going on. Are there any suggestions from you guys out there on what could be causing this? No other sample I use exhibits this ...only the Steinway B. And this is even with low voice usage....like 30 voices or so.

Any help appreciated.

Re: Help Steinway B problems...what gives?

Have you tried the Giga-Piano, which is shipped along with the GigaStudio? To see that you still get similar clicks and/or pops or not? If yes, your PC is not optimized correctly. If no, your Steinway B CDs could be bad sample library.

hi Tom
    Sounds like your copy of Steinway B
    might be damaged.
    Is the Steinway delivered in a compressed
    format? - if thats the case, have you
    tried re-installing the Steinway-gigs?
    Has the gigs been converted to Gigs 2.0
    version?

best regards
    Bjk

At last, someone else has the same problem. I thought I was going mad.
    I have exactly the same clicks and pops with the Steinway B. Every other disc I have is absolutely fine. I can reproduce the clicks in exactly the same place each time (holding the B flat 1 tone down from middle C for 4 seconds and there\'s a big splat. Use of the sustain pedal also creates these unwelcome noises.
    I hope someone can come up with a solution.

Cheers

Simon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by UKSimon:
    At last, someone else has the same problem. I thought I was going mad.
    I have exactly the same clicks and pops with the Steinway B. Every other disc I have is absolutely fine. I can reproduce the clicks in exactly the same place each time (holding the B flat 1 tone down from middle C for 4 seconds and there\'s a big splat. Use of the sustain pedal also creates these unwelcome noises.
    I hope someone can come up with a solution.

Cheers

Simon
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I said earlier, I have used TWO different sets of CDs....East West graciouslly has replaced the first set. So it isn\'t the CD.

Holding the sustain pedal down is what really triggers this. It\'s a mess. I will have to return the CD set because I cannot afford to waste 180.00.

I have tried Gigapiano and had no problems.....

Has the gigs been converted to Gigs 2.0
    version?

How do you convert sounds to 2.0?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kenn159:
    How do you convert sounds to 2.0?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Kenn
    In the Gigastudio file window ( bottom left
    and right windows) you right-click on either a Gig or a Gig directory - on the menu you\'ll find the item \'Convert to Gig 2.0\'.

regards
    Bjk

Hi again
    Im not sure if I\'m the right person
    to try and suggest solutions, since I\'m
    not owner of the Steinway B, but anyway:

To trace the source of the problem you might try the following procedure:

Try splitting up the layered instrument
    in the Giga editor and create a number of simpler instruments, each consisting of one
    velocity layer, and see if the problem prevails. Also try and figure out if its
    just some specific notes that creates the
    pops ( UK Simon mentioned a b-flat ).
    in this way it should be possible to establish whether it is the samples thats faulty or its the configuration of the
    system or maybe a special gig-programming
    technigue thats causing the problem.

By the way, have you switched on the DMA on
    your harddisk handling?

best regards
    Bjk

Hey Tom

Did you ever get a fix for your Steinway B problem. I\'ve loaded loads of new stuff with no problems, used a different soundcard, and done all the tweeks that I\'ve learnt from this forum, all to no avail.

Do you have the Boesendofer from the same manufacturer? I was thinking about it but have been put off with this problem with the Steinway B

Cheers

Simon

Go Back to forum