• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Oh Please help. Nightmare situation

Share/Bookmark

Oh Please help. Nightmare situation

Hey everyone. I hate to start another one of these threads but here goes.

I am working on two major projects right now. One is a scoring project and the other is a recording project.

I have a Sonica Labs Hush quad-core 2.66 with a main drive, a sample drive, and an audio drive respectively named C, D, and E. I am still running XP 32 professional.

Today I was getting a couple glitches when playing back some RMX grooves and a simple bass line and I thought that that was weird as this machine has never shown any signs of stress during performance. Realizing that I hadnt cleared my internet cache in a while, I did the whole thing of clearing temp internet files, cookies, history, and all that from Firefox and used the disk clean-up utility in windows on C drive. After that, I rebooted, then opened Cubase 4 and went to the "E" drive where I store all my project files. So far so good. I click "E audio drive" , then "Cubase Projects", then it shows all of the folders that I keep of my projects. I click on the folder of the last project that I was working on and the pc doesnt respond for a moment. THen, a window pops up stating " The disk in drive "E" is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" THen I say to myself "What the #*%^?!!!!. So I say no of course and then check other folders. All of the others seem to be there except the two last folders that contain the projects I have been working on recently. Now I feel like I want to puke. Worse yet, if I hold the cursor over those two folders without clicking, it says "Folder Empty". Is this a hard drive crash? WTF? I am about to freaking cry! Seriously, I just recorded this guy for about 12 hours over the past week and it all seems to be gone or corrupted or something. I used the Windows search function on the audio drive and it cant find the files. It finds the folder it was in but it doesnt find the files. All my other files are around. Any suggestions? I think I'm going to be sick.

E

Re: Oh Please help. Nightmare situation

Hey!
    Sorry to hear this!
    Situations like these are just horrible!
    I'm afraid I can't help you but I really feel your pain!

All the best and good luck!

Kindly,
    Justus
    rothermusic.de

If your disk is failing, because some mechanical issue, and is ruining some sectors, i recommend you that you backup the others files before the disk totally fail and ruin them too. Copy them to another disk.
    About the damaged sector, if is that the case, there are software that can recover things... but not always. If the data you have there is really important and represent $$$ to you, there are companyes that can make the attempt to fix your disk and recover your data (physically, not software only) but that will cost you some money.
    Marcelo Colina

Eric,

Without freaking you out too much, it does sound like part of the file structure was damaged somehow, especially considering you can still open all the rest of the folders...when do you open them, you can see data right? Data you can actually open and use? And what format was this drive in FAT or NTFS?

What you did (at least from your description) should not have damaged the file structure on that drive, especially since you didn't specify the E drive and the E drive just seems to be a data repository and nothing more.

There is one thing you can try that MAY give you some success....if you can remove the E drive from your computer and put it in an external case and connect it to another computer, you may be able to see some of that data (I have had some limited success with this)...but overall, this may be a job for a data recovery program or a data recovery service.

Dreamawake

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins View Post
    Hey everyone. I hate to start another one of these threads but here goes.

I am working on two major projects right now. One is a scoring project and the other is a recording project.

I have a Sonica Labs Hush quad-core 2.66 with a main drive, a sample drive, and an audio drive respectively named C, D, and E. I am still running XP 32 professional.

Today I was getting a couple glitches when playing back some RMX grooves and a simple bass line and I thought that that was weird as this machine has never shown any signs of stress during performance. Realizing that I hadnt cleared my internet cache in a while, I did the whole thing of clearing temp internet files, cookies, history, and all that from Firefox and used the disk clean-up utility in windows on C drive. After that, I rebooted, then opened Cubase 4 and went to the "E" drive where I store all my project files. So far so good. I click "E audio drive" , then "Cubase Projects", then it shows all of the folders that I keep of my projects. I click on the folder of the last project that I was working on and the pc doesnt respond for a moment. THen, a window pops up stating " The disk in drive "E" is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" THen I say to myself "What the #*%^?!!!!. So I say no of course and then check other folders. All of the others seem to be there except the two last folders that contain the projects I have been working on recently. Now I feel like I want to puke. Worse yet, if I hold the cursor over those two folders without clicking, it says "Folder Empty". Is this a hard drive crash? WTF? I am about to freaking cry! Seriously, I just recorded this guy for about 12 hours over the past week and it all seems to be gone or corrupted or something. I used the Windows search function on the audio drive and it cant find the files. It finds the folder it was in but it doesnt find the files. All my other files are around. Any suggestions? I think I'm going to be sick.

E

Oh, you could try to go back the last system recovering point.
    Normally windows doesn't include user files into recovery but chances are...
    rothermusic.de

Go into Event Viewer and look at the System Log. Look for critical errors and especially for errors such as Error 51. These usually show hard drive errors. You have probably been getting these for at least a week now if your system hasn't gotten noticably slower. Windows will slow down the hard drive controller mode when it detects errors causing the slow down. Even after replacing a hard drive you may still have slow access until you repair windows.

As mentioned before, backup your hard drive first before doing the above to recover as much as possible.

Jim

As mentioned before, backup your hard drive first before doing the above to recover as much as possible.
    ...and then run scan disk over that partition which might correct errors in your file structure.
    rothermusic.de

Thanks for the help so far everyone. I am going to start trying your suggestions. I'll get back to you as I try these. Thanks so much.

E

Eric,

Sorry to hear this. 1st offdon't write anything new to the drive. I had an issue like this with my wife's computer and used a piece of software to find the files. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it but if you do a search for dive recovery software you should get plenty of options. Some allow you to download a trial version that can "see" the files just not recover them. Once you purchase the software you can retrice the files.

Option B is to take the drive to a data recovery place. It costs a lot more but these guys are pros.

I've lost some stuff over the years and I know the feeling. I hope you get lucky my friend.

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I had this happen to me a couple times (in 2 years) and coincidentally also on a PC by Sonica-Labs.

First time: I unplugged everything for awhile and it came back - probably fluke.

Second time: I pulled the drive out like 'dreamawake' mentioned, and put it into a external case and was able to save all my data intact.

summon your eagle powers.

Go Back to forum