• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Eve of War (Orchestral Hymn)

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Eve of War (Orchestral Hymn)

Hi Northernsounds!

I've been a member for some time, but a quiet one, and I want to try and rectify that with some more participation — so here goes!

Amid the hours I'm tossing into a TV gig, I keep getting cravings for some straight-up orchestral stuff instead of the largely electronic/atmospheric stuff I'm doing for that project, and I have a new piece for your appraisal!

I initially thought that this would be quite short, but as I worked on it I realized that I had more to say, so it ended up being just over 4 minutes. I'm (hopefully) getting the hang of pulling a convincing sound out of LASS — really wanted to polish off that cinematic sound.

Production-wise, I tweaked everything in my template to see if I could get a more convincing sound. I'm really pleased with the results, but I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

Eve of War

Thank you very much for listening — I hope you enjoy!
    Marius Masalar
    Mathazzar Studios

Composer for Media

www.mathazzar.com

Re: Eve of War (Orchestral Hymn)

Hi Marius,

I enjoyed this piece of music!

Jef

Thank you, aeronaut, I'm very glad you did!
    Marius Masalar
    Mathazzar Studios

Composer for Media

www.mathazzar.com

I personally liked it very much - listened to it several times today. I also liked the massive sound of your libraries. I understand for the strings you used LA Scoring Strings but could you please share frim which libraries are the :
    Piano ? Harp ? Choir ? BRASS ? and the woodwinds.

Red face Re: Eve of War (Orchestral Hymn)

Hi Flajolet, thank you for your response! I'm very glad that you liked it.

Let me address your questions:

Just to clarify, the strings are primarily LASS, but not exclusively -- they have some help from EWQLSO Gold ProXP's strings, especially for the short articulations. The piano is actually the basic Steinway B from the EWQLSO Gold library (I have a few "superior" piano libraries, and being a pianist myself I could also record it live on my piano) but I tend to come back to this piano for orchestral mixes because it sits extremely well in the mix and is a very nice piano patch to play.

The harp is, once again, just the basic pluck patch from EWQLSO. I considered getting the Cinesamples Cineharp, but I find that I can make do just fine with what I have...I'll wait for their Hollywoodwinds library!

The choir is a combination of two patches from Omnisphere...I liked the sound of this combination better than the equivalent part performed by EWQL Symphonic Choirs in this case.

Brass is almost entirely EWQL; specifically, the short articulations are. The legato and other long articulations have some help from Symphobia.

Woodwinds are from EWQLSO as well, with some minor tweaks to the patches just to get the ensemble sound to be a bit nicer.

I hope that helps! Thank you for listening and commenting.
    Marius Masalar
    Mathazzar Studios

Composer for Media

www.mathazzar.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mathazzar View Post
    Hi Flajolet, thank you for your response! I'm very glad that you liked it.

Let me address your questions:

Just to clarify, the strings are primarily LASS, but not exclusively -- they have some help from EWQLSO Gold ProXP's strings, especially for the short articulations. The piano is actually the basic Steinway B from the EWQLSO Gold library (I have a few "superior" piano libraries, and being a pianist myself I could also record it live on my piano) but I tend to come back to this piano for orchestral mixes because it sits extremely well in the mix and is a very nice piano patch to play.

The harp is, once again, just the basic pluck patch from EWQLSO. I considered getting the Cinesamples Cineharp, but I find that I can make do just fine with what I have...I'll wait for their Hollywoodwinds library!

The choir is a combination of two patches from Omnisphere...I liked the sound of this combination better than the equivalent part performed by EWQL Symphonic Choirs in this case.

Brass is almost entirely EWQL; specifically, the short articulations are. The legato and other long articulations have some help from Symphobia.

Woodwinds are from EWQLSO as well, with some minor tweaks to the patches just to get the ensemble sound to be a bit nicer.

I hope that helps! Thank you for listening and commenting.
    I have to admit I had some feeling EWQL was involved such a big sound - it has to be EWQL especially the piano, I am interested what do you think in that matter but my opinion is that no matter what new libraries for piano come 1200 samples per key bla bla... no matter nothing beats the EWQL sound it is simply BIG. I do not know how do they do it but... the result is obvious.

You did not mention but I assume the BRASS is also EWQL - big sound !!!

Please post here if you come up with some new projects. I am sure not only I will enjoy.

Thanks!

I actually did mention brass, you even quoted it! :P It's EWQL and Symphobia, either way. Definitely good for that large sound. I actually forgot to mention though that the brass for this track has even more help -- the leading horn line is the VSL Epic Horns library, and the solo trumpet is The Trumpet. Some of the size comes from the way I set up the reverb, but yes, EWQL does have a wonderful hugeness to it right out of the box.

Just about the piano, I think that Imperfect Samples' new White Grand has one of the most beautiful tones I've ever heard from a sampled piano library. And it's not excessively large or prestigious, just a pleasant, organic piano sound. I'm looking into perhaps purchasing it in the future. If you're a fan of fine piano sounds though, you should check it out: http://www.imperfectsamples.com/webs...rand/index.php .

I will definitely post more here in the future, you guys have been very kind!
    Marius Masalar
    Mathazzar Studios

Composer for Media

www.mathazzar.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mathazzar View Post
    Thanks!

I actually did mention brass, you even quoted it! :P It's EWQL and Symphobia
    LoL - I am sorry I am really sleepy it is so late here but thank you for the info - I checked the white grand.... and... I will be listening to it tomorrow I also will check out the company that makes cineharp and hollywoodwinds i never heard of them and they seem interesting, also they have some other cool products, but.... now to rest

Looking forward to hear new things from you.

Excellent composition, and excellent production too. Good job.

You are right about the EWQL Piano's. I like the Bechstein very much.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast