• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Topic: Notion 3

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Notion 3

    Goodmorning to all.

    Just found that people at Notionmusic uploaded the full user guide:

    http://www.notionmusic.com/support/pdfs/Help.pdf

    I hope it could be helpful to evaluate while waiting to test in the real world.

    Have a nice day

    ---
    Fabio

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    183

    Re: Notion 3

    Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Goodmorning to all.

    Just found that people at Notionmusic uploaded the full user guide:

    http://www.notionmusic.com/support/pdfs/Help.pdf

    I hope it could be helpful to evaluate while waiting to test in the real world.

    Have a nice day

    ---
    Fabio
    That is helpful, thanks!

    Jon

  3. #3

    Re: Notion 3

    What a Manual! 290 pages. The program looks powerfull. Thanks the link.
    Marcelo Colina

  4. #4

    Thumbs down Re: Notion 3

    Could somebody confirm, that it has no quantize and humanize function at all?!? Sequenzer staff, realtime recording, but no correction? Is this possible?

    Best,


    Johannes

  5. #5

    Re: Notion 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    Could somebody confirm, that it has no quantize and humanize function at all?!? Sequenzer staff, realtime recording, but no correction? Is this possible?

    Best,


    Johannes
    Interesting what you point Johannes. In the manual the only way i found to correct the realtime recordings is the manual tap (the NTempo thing) and it also mention than when you switch from the "sequencer staff" to the real staff view, there is some kind of correction (quatization of the view). But no reference to quantization at all.
    I would like to know too.
    Marcelo Colina

  6. #6

    Re: Notion 3

    Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    Interesting what you point Johannes. In the manual the only way i found to correct the realtime recordings is the manual tap (the NTempo thing) and it also mention than when you switch from the "sequencer staff" to the real staff view, there is some kind of correction (quatization of the view). But no reference to quantization at all.
    I would like to know too.

    The sequencer staff records MIDI in and displays the information in typical sequencer view, but on a staff. You can then edit the performance with your mouse and keyboard. At this point you can either convert it to notation or export it as audio or midi.

    The quantization occurs when you convert to notation, which allows you to have the best of both worlds (notation and sequencing).

    Hope this helps!
    Kyle

  7. #7

    Re: Notion 3

    Quote Originally Posted by KylePoehling View Post
    The sequencer staff records MIDI in and displays the information in typical sequencer view, but on a staff. You can then edit the performance with your mouse and keyboard. At this point you can either convert it to notation or export it as audio or midi.

    The quantization occurs when you convert to notation, which allows you to have the best of both worlds (notation and sequencing).

    Hope this helps!
    Kyle
    thanks your answer!

    So, when you convert a real-time recorded sequence to notation quantization is applyed. Then...
    1-If you convert the staff to sequence staff later, the real performance is lost?
    2-Is that quantization configurable or the program have factory settings only?


    Thanks!
    Marcelo Colina

  8. #8

    Re: Notion 3

    Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    thanks your answer!

    So, when you convert a real-time recorded sequence to notation quantization is applyed. Then...
    1-If you convert the staff to sequence staff later, the real performance is lost?
    2-Is that quantization configurable or the program have factory settings only?


    Thanks!
    To me this seems like a really weird approach for a notation software that wants to become better at integrating with a DAW.

    When you lose the real-time performance, this indeed doesn't give the best of both worlds - instead you lose the other world. The software forces you to choose whether you you want you music to sound natural and "performed" or whether you want to have it notated... it just seems weird, since for example in Overture you can have both without losing the other.
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

  9. #9

    Re: Notion 3

    Quote Originally Posted by karvasika View Post
    To me this seems like a really weird approach for a notation software that wants to become better at integrating with a DAW.

    When you lose the real-time performance, this indeed doesn't give the best of both worlds - instead you lose the other world. The software forces you to choose whether you you want you music to sound natural and "performed" or whether you want to have it notated... it just seems weird, since for example in Overture you can have both without losing the other.

    With a simple "Save As" you can have the best of both worlds.....assuming that you want the notation for print.

  10. #10

    Re: Notion 3

    Quote Originally Posted by KylePoehling View Post
    With a simple "Save As" you can have the best of both worlds.....assuming that you want the notation for print.
    Hi! Thanks for the reply!

    Do you mean mean saving separate versions for print&performance? But doesn't this take you back to the situation you had before Notion3: you'll have two versions of your music again (compare to: a notation file and a re-programmed midi export in the sequencer)? If I have another performance-version of my music, I might just as well have it in my DAW.

    I see the big picture as having only one file containing both notation and extremely good midi programming so that you can get the parts to the real players and ALSO have the same file sound awesomely natural and realistic (by having performed and programmed it yourself).

    But I don't mean to mock the current features - maybe it'll prove to be even better than I think after trying out the demo!
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •