• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Musica Idea

Share/Bookmark

The Musica Idea

Hey I have question about something which is very important in music but rarely gets that treatment.

The musical idea -- I have trouble finding some good insight into this so I figured here would be a good place.

What is the musical idea? How does one develop/refine it?

If anyone know where I can read some texts on this, I would appreciate it. The only thing I've found is this book.
    The musical idea and the logic, technique, and art of its presentation By Arnold Schoenberg, Patricia Carpenter, Severine Neff. Im trying to get my hands on it right now. Thanks

Re: The Musica Idea

Perhaps there are no musical ideas. There are ideas about music. (Just as there are no red thoughts, but we can think about red things.) So there are no musical thoughts; but we can think about music.

I might think in a musical sort of way, but this does not mean my thoughts themselves are musical.

Just my two cents...

Marko

I usually suggest to read these two books to my students.

Fundamentals of Musical Composition by Arnold Schoenberg
    A Composer's World by Paul Hindemith

Schoenberg book contains number of excellent practical suggestions, while the Hindemith book digs into more aesthetic view point of the subjects.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Perhaps there are no musical ideas. There are ideas about music. (Just as there are no red thoughts, but we can think about red things.) So there are no musical thoughts; but we can think about music.

I might think in a musical sort of way, but this does not mean my thoughts themselves are musical.

Just my two cents...

Marko
    I have no...I don't even...... What?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-P View Post
    I usually suggest to read these two books to my students.

Fundamentals of Musical Composition by Arnold Schoenberg
    A Composer's World by Paul Hindemith

Schoenberg book contains number of excellent practical suggestions, while the Hindemith book digs into more aesthetic view point of the subjects.
    Thank you.

My apologies. I was being too literal.

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post

Just my two cents...

Marko
    Very good ... not too literal for me.

I kinda understood what you said after reading it over 5 times but I was looking for something more practical and not so..... philosophical.

I'm talking about the musical idea, as in the root of which the artist begins to create his piece from. How does he develop it etc....

It's been a few years, but some of what you're thinking about is addressed in a book of lectures by Leonard Bernstein: "The Unanswered Question". There's a lot to think about in there. And true to the title, he brings up a number of questions without answering them. But it'll get you thinking about music, writing, development in ways you hadn't before.

-glenn

>>I'm talking about the musical idea, as in the root of which the artist begins
    >>to create his piece from. How does he develop it etc....

Like this?
    http://www.wisemanproject.com/educat...ntaroSato.html
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Go Back to forum