• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pilot video project on sample-orchestration from a piano part

Share/Bookmark

Pilot video project on sample-orchestration from a piano part

I have been toying in the last years with the idea of making videos on sample-orchestration, starting with a piano version. Here is a snippet of going from a piano rendition to the sample-orchestrated version with the same excerpt.

http://www.guybacos.com/audio/test%2...%20excerpt.mp3

The narrated video would look at how the piano parts evolved into an orchestral score with an explanation of the choices of the sampled instruments and articulations used.

I'll only do it if there will be enough interest,

It may or may not be free. I'd appreciate the input.

Hope you like the idea!

Re: Pilot video project on sample-orchestration from a piano part

Here's a few semi-random thoughts on the subject:

* This is going to be about orchestration, or about rendering? You mention sampled instruments and articulations, but I actually think that with "any" sample library you would get similar results; at least in your example where the orchestration is quite lovely!
    * Are you sure that video is the best way to transfer all this information? If it's about instruments and articulations, ok, but it does seem that people will be bound to ask on "why this and not that", or "this is a cool pattern in the woods, where did you get this?" and so on. On orchestration I'm almost a hardcore believer of notation teaching!
    * If you are doing the samples 'version', then will these videos be useful to people using other libraries? We "all" know that you use VSL libraries, which are awesome, but if you mention anything about portamento, etc, etc, then it's simply not applicable to other libraries.
    * On pricing I have absolutely no idea, but I guess that one way to avoid piracy is to offer them in a DVD, so that people would have to screen capture, or translate into avi, or whatever and then upload, as opposed to offering a youtube quality video which can just be thrown onto rapidshare/torrents and pirated! Lastly have faith (I'm also a big believer of that!). Yes anything you do will be pirated, there's no honor it piracy, but there's also a large percentage of peolpe who will simply buy the videos to learn. You can't teach a Greek (since I'm Greek) that piracy is wrong: There's no physical stealing they'll say. But in other places of the world people think differently. It's a risk you have to take.
    * Copyrights? If you take well known pieces for piano be aware of copyright issues? While the music itself is not copyrighted, some score editions in fact ARE copyrighted (at least the changes and editorials done additionally on the urtext editions)! You probably won't have such a problem, but just saying.

Other than that I think that it's a cool idea and anything for the education is a plus for me! Personally I wouldn't buy it, so I can't offer my support straight away in a monetary fashion, but I can offer my mental and phychological support, as well as any advice I might have (which I've already done )

It will be with VSL instrument. Sorry can't please everybody.

It will be about sampled orchestration, which means orchestrating with samples, which is a different thing than orchestrating for real instruments if you follow me. This is why I said "sampled orchestration"

Thanks for the feedback on videos.

As for copyright I will be using my own works for now, as on the example, since not everything is suitable for sample orchestration.

Of course Nikolas no tutorial video is totally complete and my goal is not to do that, just walk the people through what I did and why I chose to do that. Since there is nothing out there of that sort it will already be filling a gap.

Thanks for your advice, and I'm sorry to hear you won't buy one (if I decide to go ahead)

Great idea!
    Sell the concept to VSL and let them put it on their webpage for free!
    Piracy problem solved!

best
    Hans

Hi Guy, is a excelent idea show us your technique for sampler orchestration. i hope more music and videos. Continuous , please

Miguel

Dear Guy,

as a VSL user I think it is a great idea and it would be a welcome addition to Beat Kaufmann's tutorials.
    And yes, as suggested, maybe you can interest the guys at VSL and sell the idea to them.

In my opinion, DVD become expensive and downloadable or online tutorials are so much easier.
    I don't know if you are on a mac, but I am also a big fan of the Logic and Native Instrument Tutorials by Macprovideo. Maybe they would be interested also in a cooporation with you?

Good luck!

Jef

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler View Post
    Great idea!
    Sell the concept to VSL and let them put it on their webpage for free!
    Piracy problem solved!

best
    Hans
    That is a definite possibility as well.

This way Nikolas will be able to see it!

Great idea, but if you use the phrase anywhere in it "makes it sound more real" I will hunt you down and shoot you.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

<<Of course Nikolas no tutorial video is totally complete and my goal is not to do that, just walk the people through what I did and why I chose to do that. Since there is nothing out there of that sort it will already be filling a gap.>>>

I think the reason people would be interested in this is seeing how someone else would orchestrate something with samples... It's not something that will satisfy all sequencer platforms or library platforms, but I think everyone will get the idea of how they can apply the techniques to whatever it is that they're using... And how someone else is making it sound better by using whatever techniques with the samples...

Well, I regularly get emails from people who want advice. It's very difficult to explain some things over an email, and of course I can't give everything away. However on this video I'll be more open about what I do.

Go Back to forum