• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mastering with "ms matrix"

Share/Bookmark

Mastering with "m/s matrix" (Mid&Sidechain)

Hi friends,

some month ago we talked about mastering and I told you that I often use a m/s matrix.

Today I have found a great video where you can see and listen how it works. Sorry, it is in german, but you will quickly understand if you watch and listen. (When Klaus begins to edit it is in the mid(mono)-channel)

http://www.musotalk.de/video-workshops/video/article/mastering-mit-klaus-bohlmann-teil-1/

On this website there are also many other good videos!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Re: Mastering with "ms matrix"

Hey Gunther!
    Thanks for sharing the videos, I've watched the first two parts (actually part 1 and part 3 as 2 and three are switched) and thought they were very useful. Klauss made some great points and his use of A/B comparisons really help demonstrate what his adjustments do. I'm going to have to spend some time watching these videos and others on the site. Do you ever work with this group?

-Kevin

P.S. I think you know I lived in Germany for 8 years and quickly became fluent (including a bit o' Bayrish and Schwabish dialect ). It's been 20 years since I've used any German in earnest (i.e. outside of a couple of vacations to Germany and Austria) and boy does listening to the video make me `homesick' to live there again. Too bad my German is now so bad! I was able to take in maybe 90% of what Klauss was saying, but my vocabulary is now the pits, especially verbs and adverbs. It makes me sad because German is such a great language. To top it off, Oktoberfest is in full swing and I'm not there! So, go have a couple of steins for me will ya?
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    P.S. I think you know I lived in Germany for 8 years and quickly became fluent (including a bit o' Bayrish and Schwabish dialect ).
    I realise that my question is of the ilk 'how long is a piece of string' but I'll try anyway. Is the German language considered a difficult language to learn? Some languages do have a reputation of being difficult. For example I have heard it said many times that English is awkward to learn .. and I gave up on Welsh before leaving school.

.. er .. I didn't find French too easy either.

Anyway, I just wondered if the German language has any reputation one way or the other on a learning scale?
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    I realise that my question is of the ilk 'how long is a piece of string' but I'll try anyway. Is the German language considered a difficult language to learn? Some languages do have a reputation of being difficult. For example I have heard it said many times that English is awkward to learn .. and I gave up on Welsh before leaving school.

.. er .. I didn't find French too easy either.

Anyway, I just wondered if the German language has any reputation one way or the other on a learning scale?
    Good question! I don't consider it difficult for several reasons. I can speak some Spanish, I thought it was more difficult than German. I gave up on French, talk about a square peg and a round hole. I just could not get my head around it. You are not alone.

Here is what I discovered as I learned the language:

1) Grammatical rules are set and have little (if any) variance from the rules. English has more exceptions to the rules than rules it seems.

2) German is spelled phonetically (sp?) and again sticks to the rules with little to no exceptions.

3) Once you learn the rules, like kicking verbs to the end of a sentence, you get used to it quickly and then becomes second nature.

4) German vocabulary is not difficult. This is a very subjective statement. For whatever reason growing my vocabulary was very quick. Maybe my mind just works in a way that is German friendly.

5) German is a building block kind of language. Once you have a foundation set, be it grammatical rules, vocabulary, formal versus informal structure, etc. you are able to expand quickly because everything relates to the foundation.

There were two things that were difficult. 1) Many Germans speak very fast and it was hard to comprehend what they were saying for awhile. 2) Like many languages, dialects were sometimes mind-blowing. Bayrish was a bit tough. Schwabish (from the dark forest area) was harder.

Oh yeah, the last thing that was tough was that too many Germans wanted to practice their English on me and would force the conversation into English! I just learned to keep speaking German no matter what. LOL!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Kevin,

many Americans have German roots. So this could be a reason of learning german quickly.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Buongiorno a tutti!

Have you ever considered learning italian? :-)

Fabio

Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    Good question! I don't consider it difficult for several reasons. I can speak some Spanish, I thought it was more difficult than German. I gave up on French, talk about a square peg and a round hole. I just could not get my head around it. You are not alone.

Here is what I discovered as I learned the language:

1) Grammatical rules are set and have little (if any) variance from the rules. English has more exceptions to the rules than rules it seems.

2) German is spelled phonetically (sp?) and again sticks to the rules with little to no exceptions.

3) Once you learn the rules, like kicking verbs to the end of a sentence, you get used to it quickly and then becomes second nature.

4) German vocabulary is not difficult. This is a very subjective statement. For whatever reason growing my vocabulary was very quick. Maybe my mind just works in a way that is German friendly.

5) German is a building block kind of language. Once you have a foundation set, be it grammatical rules, vocabulary, formal versus informal structure, etc. you are able to expand quickly because everything relates to the foundation.

There were two things that were difficult. 1) Many Germans speak very fast and it was hard to comprehend what they were saying for awhile. 2) Like many languages, dialects were sometimes mind-blowing. Bayrish was a bit tough. Schwabish (from the dark forest area) was harder.

Oh yeah, the last thing that was tough was that too many Germans wanted to practice their English on me and would force the conversation into English! I just learned to keep speaking German no matter what. LOL!

-Kevin
    Hello Kevin,

This is really interesting .. might give it a go and enrol in a class. Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum