• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Road Less Traveled

Share/Bookmark

A Road Less Traveled

This road does not seem to want to diverge.

I know that it is not finished yet, so the ending that is there is just thrown on for now.

This piece is all GPO 4 and was composed in Sonar 8.

Here it is

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Or here

http://www.box.net/shared/a1q3cjbytu

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Re: A Road Less Traveled

Curious piece. It has a 20th century avant-garde feel with the recurring and overlapping themes, a dissonant kind of counterpoint, and the orchestration reminds me of Poulenc and Hindemith. But it also has late romantic tendencies, a bit Bruckner. Those are not bad antecedents.

I've listened to it twice now, and I like the sound very much, and it shows a spontaneous, and at the same time structural feel, but it could do with slightly more dynamics (not too much, since the massive sound is really part of the composition, to my ears), and less percussion, especially the bell-like sounds: they interrupt the overall flow. The rest of the percussion seems to provide a more structural support to the "gestalt" of the piece.

The ending is not bad, really, but it comes unexpected and is a bit simple in comparison to the preceding material, which deserves a bit more. I'm curious how you will develop this.

Well done so far.

Ron -

This is a lovely piece. I like this style of composition. You mentioned that you're still working on it and that ". . . the ending that is there is just thrown in. . " Well, I'm looking forward to hearing the ending once you complete this piece. Nice work, Ron!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

FLWrd

I agree that the piece needs a bit of work in the way of dynamics, This is a very rough draft that I have posted and the reason I posted a rough draft instead of a finished piece is a long and complicated story.

I have 3 different types of bells going on in this. The Celesta, which is the first instrument to define the main theme, to me is irreplacable. Later in the piece it does play a line that I know will change but I haven't figured out its part yet there. I have a triangle being used in places that I may either do away with completely, or alter some. Don't know yet on it. I also used windchimes that may also go away.

I am also curious as to where this piece may go.

Ted

I hear an ending in my mind but can't seem to get it to come together clearly yet. Usually when that happens to me, it means the piece is far from over. I just have a feeling that I have only posted the first half of this one. Hopefully this weekend I can get back to it and see where it goes.

Thanks guys

Ron

Very colorful work that surprised me with it's layered melodies that flow and twist in unexpected directions...this layered style I'm not quite used to yet...but I enjoyed listening very much, wondering what was coming next...and you created a very full and rich orchestration. Thanks for comments on The Sunbird.

Ron,

I enjoy all of your pieces and this one is no exception. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something British about this one.

I can't wait to hear how you choose to end it.

Steve Winkler

Stunned!! about the massive sound, the composition itself, the quality of the music file.. What a variety of colours! Great, but sometimes I miss the transition between the various moods, as if you suddenly got some other idea. Maybe I have to listen to this a second time, to get the picture.

I listened with my eyes closed and found out that the system automatically went to the next track, that's why I noticed certain jumps in moods. Forgive me.

Raymond

Mike

You're welcome with Sunbird and thanks for returning the favor.

I love to make my pieces pretty intricate with lots going on at once. It keeps me on my toes.

Steve

Elgar sometimes uses lots of melodies that intertwine in his works, so maybe that is where the British feel comes from. I must admit that comment sort of thru me for a loop. I am more of a fan of Russian music than British. In fact, I couldn't even think of another British composer. Well that's not true, there is always Holst and I do use some of his characteristics in my works as well.

I can't wait to see where it goes either. Thanks

Raymond

You are forgiven. There is quite a mood shift between this piece and the next one on the list so your confusion is understood.

A wide variety of colors is what I wanteed in this one, so thanks for noticing that.

Thanks again guys

Ron

Finally catching up with the trip down your Road, Ron - Hmmm, I thought maybe there was going to be an obvious tie-in to the famous book by M. S. Peck - but I don't think that's related after all. Sounds like a more personal, unique road being traveled.

It's such a robust piece, equally robust in its BIG production - Spectacular even. Wonderful stuff.

And here's probably an odd reaction, but several times, for some reason I had the feeling of being at some sort of big outdoor pageant, like a big, sprawling Medieval event of some sort - even though it's not as if the music's character reminded me of that. It's just I'm trying to describe this sensation I had while listening. - Music which causes me to have visions and sensations - that's a good sign--doesn't always happen.

Thanks for the surprising journey, Ron!

Randy

Randy

The first 2 lines of Robert Frost's famous poem are

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both

The first line in my post was

This road does not seem to want to diverge.

So it is just like you said.....

Sounds like a more personal, unique road being traveled.

I added another 3 minutes to the piece that reminded me of a medieval battle and wasn't sure it fit, so I am now working on it as a separate piece. But after reading your post, it makes me wonder if it doesn't fit after all.

BTW I never even heard of M. S. Peck before your post.

Thanks

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast