• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recording: GPO-Sonar 8.5

Share/Bookmark

Recording: GPO-Sonar 8.5

OK. I admit it. I'm lost. I'm rendering beautifully with GPO4 using Sonar 8.5. However, try as I may, try as I might, I've not been able to "record" my renderings through Sonar 8.5.

I've tried everything I know, checking inputs, outputs. Everything appears to be OK. I'm using a Turtle Beach Riviera soundcard - simple, cheap, effective.

But alas, no recording. <SIGH>

Can someone point me to a soundcard that they've had great successes recording using GPO4? Thanks in advance.

Stevemitchell

Re: Recording: GPO-Sonar 8.5

Hi Steve. Trying to understand what you are saying:

Rendering=performance?
    Recording=make a wave file of what you played?

Just asking, because "render" is used in sequencer terminology as the act to "bounce" your midi performances to a wave file. And "recording" is to capture your performance (midi or real instrument/voice)

If you can clarify a little about how you are using this terms, it could help us to help you

Marcelo Colina

Hi, Steve

Along with Marce, I cannot decipher your post so that I'm really sure what you mean--I'm -only guessing:

"...I'm rendering beautifully with GPO4 using Sonar 8.5. However, try as I may, try as I might, I've not been able to "record" my renderings through Sonar 8.5..."

I guess you mean that you're recording your MIDI tracks OK, but yet unable to bounce--render your tracks. - Marce accurately pointed out that "rendering" refers to recording MIDI tracks to Audio. So--are we understanding you so far?

I use Sonar, and as always when an upgrade to Any software comes along - I will wait for some months so I can keep track of people's public-Beta problems, wait for the smoke to clear before upgrading. There are Always problems with upgrades, and how that upgrade will interact with other programs is the #1 problem that comes up.

Lecture over - You need to fish around at the Cakewalk forum to see what other users have experienced, users with GPO and who have taken the early Sonar upgrade plunge along with you.

--I assume that previous to Sonar 8.5, you knew how to bounce your tracks successfully to audio--. -? If not---then we can explain how that's done.

Randy

In Scott Garrigus' Sonar 8 Power, there is a long, drawn out explanation of how to record midi tracks. I remember that you have to add a new audio track, arm it, and then point all of the midi tracks towards that audio track and do a few other odds and ends of steps. I assume this is what you are refering to.

Bouncing the tracks does the same thing, but does it in one step instead of 20, so why record the tracks?

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell View Post
    OK. I admit it. I'm lost. I'm rendering beautifully with GPO4 using Sonar 8.5. However, try as I may, try as I might, I've not been able to "record" my renderings through Sonar 8.5.

I've tried everything I know, checking inputs, outputs. Everything appears to be OK. I'm using a Turtle Beach Riviera soundcard - simple, cheap, effective.

But alas, no recording. <SIGH>

Can someone point me to a soundcard that they've had great successes recording using GPO4? Thanks in advance.

Stevemitchell
    Hello Steve,

I too am a Sonar user and like Marce and Randy I'm not entirely sure what you mean too.

Also, I don't know if you are an experienced sonar user with previous versions and have previously made recordings or if you have just started using Sonar.

However, I'll try a walk in the dark and assume you are new to Sonar.

You say you are rendering beautifully but cannot get a recording. By this I assume that you have all your tracks set up beautifully and that you do have playback of your file within Sonar. Is this correct?

If so, to process this into a recording, try the following:

1. Go to; 'Edit -Select - All'

2. Select; 'File - Export - Audio'

3. In the 'Export Audio' window select your options. For now try 'Fast Bounce' and select a 'Sample Rate' of 44100 and 'Bit Depth' of 16 (being standard CD settings).

4. Click on the 'Export' button.

That should be it. Sonar should now scroll through your file and save it as an audio (wav) file.

As I said the above is a 'walk in the dark' and you may already know all that. If this is the case and things aren't working then I would go with Randy's suggestion to try in the Sonar forums with more detail of the exact problem.

As to sound card recommendations, try a forum search. There have been quite a few threads on this. Here's one to start with and there are plenty of others too:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ght=sound+card

Hope this helps.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thanks folks. I started MIDI'ing in 1997, when all were ROM based syths. I've been a Cakewalk user since Cakewalk 7, and now am up through Sonar 1, 2, 5, and now 8 > upgraded to 8.5.

Way back when, I'd always thought I was "rendering" anytime I had midi data being "rendered" as audio. I'd actually never used the term "bouncing" for getting midi to audio. I'd always thought I was simply recording the audio.

As always through out these endeavors, I'm in "learning" mode. Thanks for the pointers.

OK, now I can explain better.

Sonar, GPO4 load perfectly with each Sonar project. When I "audition" the combined midi tracks (listen to them), they sound great. However, when i "arm" the MIDI tracks for recording, insert tracks for Riviera left and right audio, those are also armed. However, when I start recording, using the recording button specifically for that purpose, nothing is recorded. The WAVE tracks are layed down, but with absolutely no audio - 20 MB wave files with no audio. The settings appear correct.

However, it's been over 5 years since I regularly used the Sonar interface, maybe I've forgotten some specifics, I'm not really sure - this has never happened before. That's what made me question the Riviera's compatibility with this hardware setup.

On the MIDI side of things, as I stated earlier, things are working great. However, through a screwup on my part, or and incompatibility with the soundcard, audio routing from Wave 1/2 isn't making it to the Rivera's Wave input.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Stevemitchell

Hello, Steve - Thanks for the clarifications.

Well - it sounds to me like you're just not remembering the process for recording/bouncing your MIDI tracks. You're describing setting up audio tracks, pushing record etc---As Ron pointed out, that approach is outlined in the Sonar Power book, but I really don't think many people do it that way--there's no need to unless you're using external hardware synths.

Bouncing is the way to go, and the developers have been very clear in telling us that Fast Bounce is the only way it really works well with GPO4.

The routine for recording/bouncing one instrument's tracks - apply the principals to other situations where you want to bounce more tracks or whole sections of your mix:

---Select the entire MIDI track--it turns black when you click on the track's header.
    ---Holding down Ctrl, also select the parallel Audio track associated with that MIDI track.
    --Click Edit int he main tool bar, select Bounce to Tracks.
    --In the popup, use the window to bounce just tracks - the ones you've chosen will show up.
    --Keep "Fast Bounce" checked - in a few seconds you'll have your audio on a new track.

That's the deal.

Randy

It looks like you are trying to record MIDI and audio at the same time. GPO4 doesn't work this way. You should just arm the MIDI track and then record your MIDI data. The audio track at this point will allow you to hear the GPO4 MIDI track. No need to record audio to hear it.

You can then freeze the MIDI tracks which would then bounce the audio to the audio tracks. The other option is to bounce all of your tracks to another blank audio track using the 'Bounce to Tracks' feature.

Jim

Go Back to forum