• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and CMB Died!!!

Share/Bookmark

GPO and CMB Died!!!

My GPO and CMB have either gone on strike or died. I can not access them via Sonar. While I was loading a piece into Sonar this afternoon, Sonar crashed. Thereafter, no GPO, no CMB. Strictly no-show! All I can see and load is the Kontakt Player. I can call up only the previous KP for GPO & CMB. If I load a file that has been saved with GPO, it appears, I see the instruments loading, but no GPO, hence no change but the file plays. Somehow, this seems to have made a general mess of my system, as I was unable to do a system restore, or recover using Norton System Recovery. Eventually, the system failed to load, and I shut it down for a while, and I was able to boot in Safe Mode. I diddled a bit, then booted again, and it booted normally. However, the GPO & CMB problems remain, and I don't have a clue.

Using NI Service Center, it seems that I should upgrade to KP 3.5 and GPO 2.24, which is news to me. Can somebody give me a clue what I should have, and how to get out of this mess, which has stopped me dead in my tracks, and has used hours of time to reach a dead end. Any solution short of a thermite grenade will be considered.

Richard

Re: GPO and CMB Died!!!

Just a thought, Is it possible that when Sonar crashed that it messed up on where your GPO and CMB files are stored? Or Maybe Kontakt player has lost the key to where you samples are. Did you check KP for where it searches for you GPO and CMB samples?

I probably didn't help much but just wanted to give you something to try. I can't believe that kind of problem would happen. I would like to eventually know what was happening or what happened to cause this problem.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I'm thinking along the lines that RichR is thinking. When I first read your post, I thought to myself "I bet he has the samples installed on a drive that's stopped working".

Steve Winkler

It is not a case of a drive becoming non-functional. All applications, including libraries, plug ins, etc. are stored on the same drive, which I am using now. Data stored on separate drive, and is intact. Backups stored on additional drive, also intact. I ran a diagnostic utility, everything checks okay. But I will very shortly run a disk check.

Richard

Well, I have run a check on C drive, including checking for disk errors. I restored all Garritan, Sonar and NI files from my backup. Nothing has changed. Essentially, I can not use any Garritan products.

Richard

Did you contact Garritan Support? I can't believe things just died without any reason. Either a hard drive crash or a system failure of some type has to be a culprit. Did you install any new OS updates or drivers recently or change anything recently?
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Did you contact Garritan Support? I can't believe things just died without any reason. Either a hard drive crash or a system failure of some type has to be a culprit. Did you install any new OS updates or drivers recently or change anything recently?

Well, I have not yet contacted Garritan Support, as I am not yet positive that the trouble is Garritan and not Sonar. No new installations recently. Only updates have been the usual security updates, and all worked well after they were installed. My next move will be to test GPO and CMB in Sibelius. If that works, the I will delete or uninstall Garritan and Sonar, and run a recovery again. Then I will probably contact Garritan Support. This sure does use up a lot of time!

Richard

Well, a minor miracle has occurred. GPO and CMB are once again functional with Sonar. I won't continue testing with Sibelius, as I really find Sonar so much better for entry, playback, sound editing. I am not positive of the cause, except that I was using Sonar, attempting an instrument change, when the crash occurred. I reproduced the crash tonight, then mucked around a bit more and ran my vst adapter, resetting all. Then went back to Sonar, where, after some piddling about, I discovered that I was able to call up GPO and CMB from the synth rack, but the displays were wacky. After some more mucking around, I was able to get the proper displays and use GPO or CMB as I wished. So I guess the problem is solved, except that I wish I would get the same default screens as previously.
    Last edited by rwayland; 09-25-2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: add

Go Back to forum