• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Night Moods

Share/Bookmark

Night Moods

Hi All,

I wrote this this past August and completed it in September. It has been selected to be played by the Cleveland Contemporary Chamber Orchestra on their Living and Dead Composers from the Cleveland Composer's Guild. I represent one of the living composers, in case you were wondering.

The piece is for Flute, Strings and Piano and it represents the quiet of the night, interrupted by different moods, restlessness, running, dreaming. It was fun to put together and even more fun to have it selected to be performed.

Here is my piece called: Night Moods

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Night Moods

Congratulations Bill on having your well written piece selected for a live performance. Very well deserved and thank you for sharing this with us.

Steve Winkler

Bill -

First. . . Congrats on having your composition picked to be performed!! Also, I am SOOOOO happy that you were picked as one of the LIVING Composers by the Cleveland Composer's Guild.

This is a lovely composition, Bill. It certainly has captured many of the moods that I feel, especially when I try to sleep at night during my night's off from work. (I work nights as an ICU/CCU nurse.) I usually fall asleep by 5:00 AM after tossing, turning, thinking, reflecting, writing music, surfing the internet and switching the channels on the television. I experience many different "moods" during my night's off which your music as accurately reflected! LOL!

And. . . it's great music! I love this style of composition. It's obvious that you do too and that you work well with this style. It would be very interesting to hear the live recording of this work after hearing the sequenced recording. Nice job with the sequencing/rendering, by the way.

Thank you for sharing your music. And, again, Congratulations!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Bill

I usually let a piece start and then go back and read what the composer has to say about the piece. Of course as I started to read your description, the first thing that came to mind was whether you were representing one of the living or the dead, but you quickly cleared up my confusion.

I would be happy if they chose one of mine as a dead composer, so you are a large step in front of me in that regard.

Congratulations on getting a performance!!

Nicely done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Steve - Thanks for listening, I am glad you enjoyed the efforts of my labor.

Ted - Bless you for being a nurse. My son is studying to do do just what you do. Since my mom was a nurse I really do understand the devotion and the sacrifice you do as a nurse - THANK YOU! I am glad you enjoyed my work. It is a laboe of love. I try to inspire, but usually perspire doing the writing. You must listen to music by Elliot Carter, if you like this. He is inspiring me. Living at age 100+ he is still composing and making great music. His 80+ years of composition have taken many twists and turns - but what a marvel. I am humbly writing as I think he would, but I am only a minor.

All, Thanks for listening!

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

[QUOTE=rolifer;632823whether you were representing one of the living or the dead, but you quickly cleared up my confusion.Ron[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ron, I am still alive, but each day brings... Well age wears. My composing is what keeps me alive. (though it wouldn't hurt if omeone paid me to do this!) Thanks for your kinf\d words and for listening to my musical offering.

Challenge #10 Winner

Your piece is certainly worthy of performance (something which holds for more pieces posted here, I would like to add). I think adding a "program" is a wise choice. It helps the audience to have an external structure to hold on to, it grounds the themes and sections. I've heard too many modern compositions that just vaguely meandered forever (Morton Feldman, brrr), but yours has a natural way of dosing the different moods and maintaining the focus. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    . . . Ted - Bless you for being a nurse. My son is studying to do do just what you do. Since my mom was a nurse I really do understand the devotion and the sacrifice you do as a nurse - THANK YOU! I am glad you enjoyed my work. It is a laboe of love. I try to inspire, but usually perspire doing the writing. You must listen to music by Elliot Carter, if you like this. He is inspiring me. Living at age 100+ he is still composing and making great music. His 80+ years of composition have taken many twists and turns - but what a marvel. I am humbly writing as I think he would, but I am only a minor.

All, Thanks for listening!

Best regards,
    Bill
    I LOVE my vocation as a nurse. Especially in the ICU setting, it's really, really, really good to see my patients progress towards wellness.

Good luck to your son! The educational process towards becoming a nurse is intense, to say the least!! Lots and lots and lots of study. And, it doesn't end! LOL!

I'll check out Elliot Carter as you suggested! It's neat to read that at the age of 100+, he's still composing music! Very cool!

Cheers!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Hi Bill,
    I can see why this was chosen for performance. It has changing colors
    from small to large; it involves various techniques from strings; a very
    interesting piano and double time against a slower sound.
    It also evokes the thought process.

Gary

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast