• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4 Keyswitches in Sibelius 6

Share/Bookmark

Question GPO4 Keyswitches in Sibelius 6

Hey folks,

How do I marry up the keyswitches for the GPO4 Instruments in Sibelius 6? I've got the manual sound sets with the Aria player working fine and can set up all my instruments and hear them just fine but I can not get the keyswitches to work for say pizzicato for example, or any other technique, etc.

I am running Sibelius 6 on an Intel Core 2 6600 Chip with 2 gigs ram in Windows XP SP3.

If someone knows the answer to this question, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Bill Wagner
    Last edited by billwagner3; 09-24-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Didn't include platform

Re: GPO4 Keyswitches in Sibelius 6

Quote Originally Posted by billwagner3 View Post
    Hey folks,

How do I marry up the keyswitches for the GPO4 Instruments in Sibelius 6? I've got the manual sound sets with the Aria player working fine and can set up all my instruments and hear them just fine but I can not get the keyswitches to work for say pizzicato for example, or any other technique, etc.

I am running Sibelius 6 on an Intel Core 2 6600 Chip with 2 gigs ram in Windows XP SP3.

If someone knows the answer to this question, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Bill Wagner
    Hello Bill and a very warm welcome to our forums.

I'm not a Sibelius user (I use Finale) but I do have a suggestion you could try.

The GPO4 has two sets of instruments namely: 'Standard' and 'Notation'. In Finale, we have to use the 'Notation' set which saves all Key Switches as MIDI notes 0-11 and the Notation set's legato CC is CC#68, which is Finale's standard GPO legato CC.

Only the Notation set will respond to these. It could be the case that Sibelius is the same. I would suggest checking which set of instruments is loaded in your files. If it is the 'Standard' set then try changing to the 'Notation' set. If you are already using the 'Notation' set then try changing to the 'Standard' set.

In the meantime I'll try to find out which set Sibelius needs.

Hope this helps.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I'm a long time Sibelius user, so let me give this a try. Up to now, using GPO via Kontakt Player, all one had to do was put it in the appropriate marking, and Sibelius told KP2/GPO what to do. At the moment, there is no soundset for ARIA, which is why you have to load things manually, and they don't respond to the written commands. I have only just acquired ARIA/GPO4, so I haven't had the chance to try the keyswitches, but the way they have always worked is that they are triggered by a pitch that is out of the range of instrument in question; you should be able to find those pitches in the written documentation. I think all you have to do is put that put in the score (again, I haven't tried it yet); if the score is also for printout, you can hide it - it should still take effect.

Let us know if this helps.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

I just tried using the keyswitches: GPO4, ARIA, and Sib 6. They all work correctly (well, I didn't test all of them). I simply put in the score the keyswitch pitch - made certain it was in the correct octave - hit playback, and the KS violin went from legato, to pizz, to alternate bows, and so on.

Let us know if this works for you. At some point, Sibelius will release a soundset that will allow us to simply insert the text; until then the KS does the trick.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Hello Bill and a very warm welcome to our forums.

I'm not a Sibelius user (I use Finale) but I do have a suggestion you could try.

The GPO4 has two sets of instruments namely: 'Standard' and 'Notation'. In Finale, we have to use the 'Notation' set which saves all Key Switches as MIDI notes 0-11 and the Notation set's legato CC is CC#68, which is Finale's standard GPO legato CC.

Only the Notation set will respond to these. It could be the case that Sibelius is the same. I would suggest checking which set of instruments is loaded in your files. If it is the 'Standard' set then try changing to the 'Notation' set. If you are already using the 'Notation' set then try changing to the 'Standard' set.

In the meantime I'll try to find out which set Sibelius needs.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Michael for your warm welcome.

I am using the notation KS instruments, sorry I left that out. Still, the keyswitches are not responding with these. I have also tried the non-notation instruments as well.

It is true that the keyswitches are available out of the range of the instrument and each one has it's own key on the keyboard, ergo I think I may need to put in some "ghost" notes in the score that trigger them when the need arises, unless someone else has another bright idea. I know that Sibelius is working on this, but who knows when it will be available.

Best wishes,

Bill Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    I'm a long time Sibelius user, so let me give this a try. Up to now, using GPO via Kontakt Player, all one had to do was put it in the appropriate marking, and Sibelius told KP2/GPO what to do. At the moment, there is no soundset for ARIA, which is why you have to load things manually, and they don't respond to the written commands. I have only just acquired ARIA/GPO4, so I haven't had the chance to try the keyswitches, but the way they have always worked is that they are triggered by a pitch that is out of the range of instrument in question; you should be able to find those pitches in the written documentation. I think all you have to do is put that put in the score (again, I haven't tried it yet); if the score is also for printout, you can hide it - it should still take effect.

Let us know if this helps.
    Sounds like this may be my only alternative until we get the update from Sibelius. Thanks!

Go Back to forum