• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius/Notation - Standard or Notation Set

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius/Notation - Standard or Notation Set

As a Finale user I understand entirely the use of the 'Notation' set and the reasons, ie. the way Finale uses the key-switch MIDI notes and legato cc.

I would like to know if the 'Notation' set applies only to Finale or if the other notation editors, Sibelius and Notation, also need the 'Notation' set.

So, any experienced users of Sibelius and Notation please advise, is it the 'Standard' set or the 'Notation' set for you?

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Sibelius/Notation - Standard or Notation Set

There's also a user who was asking the same question about Overture.

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    There's also a user who was asking the same question about Overture.

Steve Winkler
    Hello Steve,

Yes and I did reply to that as best I could. There is also a query about Sibelius which may be related to which set should be used there.

These are some of the reasons I would like to know myself.

Here's hoping someone can enlighten us.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Well, I have Sibelius 6. When I call up GPO, it automatically selections the notation set. Until today, I have not been concerned about it, as my GPO usage is with Sonar. However, I want to record the Sibelius version of a piece, but can not because the piece uses only GPO. Sibelius will apparently not record GPO, which seems kind of silly to me. Perhaps there is something that I need to learn. I have spent an hour or more searching for a way, but still find nothing helpful. Obviously, the need for the notation version is there, but it's value is greatly diminished if recording is impossible.

Richard

Richard,

I have recorded many things using GPO in Sibelius. Are you using Export to Audio? Not knowing what you are doing, it's kind of hard to diagnose, but it is definitely possible; perhaps post this over at Sibelius? Are you using GPO4? Sorry I can't help more, but I've been making audio with Sibelius since v. 3 - they certainly wouldn't have removed that functionality.

If I get a chance, I'll play around with it. Hopefully you will get an answer soon.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Richard,

Just saw your post over at Sibelius - I think the problem is that you have to use Kontakt Player 2 withing Sibelius; that way it will load all the GPO/CMB/JABB sounds. From your description, I gathered that you don't have KP2 as a playback device. It's free, and it works well. Or am I missing something (always a possibility...)?
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Richard,

Just saw your post over at Sibelius - I think the problem is that you have to use Kontakt Player 2 withing Sibelius; that way it will load all the GPO/CMB/JABB sounds. From your description, I gathered that you don't have KP2 as a playback device. It's free, and it works well. Or am I missing something (always a possibility...)?
    Well, perhaps I did not explain myself well enough. I can play back any gpo sounds with Sibelius in any score I wish. Bit Sibelius does not provide a means of creating audio from Sibelius scores using GPO. Rewire, as I understand it, directs the midi from Sibelius to other software, such as Sonar, which then plays is, which, for my needs, is pointless. But it seems to me that I have seen and heard of other persons doing what I want to do. I can't recall any details.

Richard

Richard,

I apologize, but I still don't follow. If I have a score in Sibelius using GPO, and go to Export Audio, I will get an AIFF (or WAV) file using those sounds. Does that not happen for you?

Sorry to be so dense...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Richard,

I apologize, but I still don't follow. If I have a score in Sibelius using GPO, and go to Export Audio, I will get an AIFF (or WAV) file using those sounds. Does that not happen for you?

Sorry to be so dense...
    Well, you are not dense, but perhaps I am. It just occurred to me that I may be missing the point on the message I get when attempting to export audio. So I will try again. That is, presuming my computer continues to function. The remaining problem seems to be boot trouble. If I could remember how to get to the Bios settings to check boot precedence, etc, I might be able to remedy the problem, which seems to have originated with Sonar, VST, and GPO. I have removed VST, and am now working with DXI.

Richard

Go Back to forum