• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway takes 7.5 gigs even with no samples loaded--?

Share/Bookmark

Steinway takes 7.5 gigs even with no samples loaded--?

I'm in the middle of the never-ending quest to reclaim more hard disc space on my laptop.

Something I don't get is that in the list of programs which can be uninstalled, the Steinway is listed at being 7.5 gigs in size - But currently I don't have any perspectives loaded. I temporarily load them from the original discs when I'm doing a project with the piano.

Is that 7.5 gigs being listed as the Potential size of the Steinway---? Because otherwise - shouldn't it only be a small fraction of that size-?

Randy

Re: Steinway takes 7.5 gigs even with no samples loaded--?

Bumping my question - Really would like to know the answer. How can an empty Steinway take up 7.5 gigs--??!!

Randy

Add remove programs of windows takes guesses. We are using a separate installer/uninstaller for samples which confuses it.

I think when you installed steinway originally you ran sample manager and one persepective, then closed sample manager, AND THEN you clicked "finish" on the main install.

So the windows installer logic took a snapshot of used space at the moment of the first installer.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

AH--interesting, David, thanks for the reply. I keep running low on hard drive space--I wonder if my machine will think that 7.5 gigs is really being used, or if I should just think of it as an incorrect meter reading? - I don't really want to start from scratch, re-installing The Steinway, avoiding what you think I may have done. Hmmm. Well---Not sure what to think or do, but thanks for the reply.

Randy

I dont think it has any sort of influence on how much space windows think is left on the drive.

Regards

OH, Ok - So even though when I'm in my program folders, and I see The Steinway listed as taking up that much space - that's not really being reflected when I look at the available room on my hard drive. - I guess?---OK.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    OH, Ok - So even though when I'm in my program folders, and I see The Steinway listed as taking up that much space - that's not really being reflected when I look at the available room on my hard drive. - I guess?---OK.

Randy
    Eh?, two things here. the amount of space reported by windows add remove program, and the size in the programs folders.

Help me un-confuse the situation. if you right click the c:\program files\Garritan\Steinway the folder and hit properties, what does it say?

You are Mr. Patient, David--and we're all grateful for that.

Yes indeed - The time I noticed this apparently large size of 7.5 gigs for The Steinway even with no samples loaded, was when I was in the uninstall programs dialogue. I was there to uninstall something--The Steinway caught my eye and I said to self, "What the...?"

It still says that, 7.5 gigs in the uninstall window.

BUT in the Programs folder, it says 67 megs - Now that's more like it.

So That's what it's really taking up on the hard drive - And as you explained before, I see 7.5 gigs in the uninstall window because that's what the computer thinks the program's size is - that data being from when I had one of the perspectives loaded.

Gotcha! Thanks.
    Randy

Yes

That seems to be right.
    Microsoft should change the reported "size" in the add/remove programs as a "estimate" to say the least.

Go Back to forum