• Register
  • Help

Topic: Suggested settings in Vista for playing Steinway?

Suggested settings in Vista for playing Steinway?

I run the Standard edition of Steinway in Vista (32 Bit). After playing for 30-50 minutes, I start getting static and other weird sound anomalies. Closing out Steinway, and then reloading it fixes the problem, for another 30-50 minutes. I used to have 2GB RAM on my machine. Upgrading to 3GB has helped (I used to only get 20-30 minutes of playing time before things started going crazy).

Are there recommended settings in Vista that will help with this type of problem? (Is there some sort of safe mode that I can run Steinway in that will block other programs from eating up memory required for Steinway?)

Thumbs down Re: Suggested settings in Vista for playing Steinway?

Similar problems here: Note cuts and clicks after playing around half an hour. I'm on Vista 64, 4 gigs RAM, 2,4 GHz dualcore, focusrite LE interface, SAM Pro 11 (and other hosts).

Disabling indexing of the hard disk helped a bit, but not this much.

I'm running larger piano libraries in Kontakt format with no issues. So: Could we please get the Garritan Steinway in this format? Much better performance and the possibility to tweak ourselves...

No, we can not, I know...

Best regards,

Re: Suggested settings in Vista for playing Steinway?

Could you let me know if you get the problem when running the stand-alone Steinway?
    Also, when/if you are using a host and you get anomalies, let me know what the host is (and what happens).

I tested for about 3 hours yesterday but didn't successfully get the problem to arise. It's critical for me to reproduce the problem, so any information helps - unfortunately I don't have SAM Pro 11 for testing (though if I can't otherwise reproduce the problem I'll try to get it one way or another).

If anyone else is having a problem too, please let me know with any details possible. The longest I've run the Steinway is about 10 hours at a time in the past (on Windows XP / stand-alone), unfortunately without getting errors.

On a different note, if you want to tweak, you just edit the .sfz file. There is some basic (dated) information on sfz at http://www.cakewalk.com/DevXchange/sfz.asp, and a thread with more information at http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=68230
    While there is no need to buy additional software like Kontakt in order to tweak, the trade-off is that sfz is probably harder to understand.

Also if you're having any problems with performance, please let me know specifics. One of the big reasons we use Aria is so we can fix bugs ourselves rather than having no control. Nevertheless, I believe our load times, disk streaming, and cpu usage all improved when we used the new player.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Here's more info:

I'm using the Aria player. E6300 Intel processor, 3 GB RAM
    Bunch of software running when I run Aria:
    Outlook, MSN Messenger, Covenant Eyes, Carbonite, MSN One Care (Anti Virus), GoTo My PC. That's just the stuff in the system tray.

My guess as to what is going on: Because I have so much "crap" running, windows stores the piano sound files to its page file after a while. This makes Aria run slowly. I do notice that the problem gets especially bad after I leave the computer along for a few minutes and come back to it. Is there any way I can force Vista to keep all the Steinway sound files in memory?

Let me know what other information you want. I didn't want to just start dumping data about my computer into a post.

Thanks very much!

Are you getting these problems when running the Steinway stand-alone?
    If on the other hand you are getting the problems when running the Steinway as a plugin within a host, could you let me know what the host is?
    And also what audio device you are using would help me.

I think that sounds like my hunch on the issue, that cached ram gets thrashed to disk.
    The typical solution is locking down ram pages, but lots of hosts hate this with good reason.

So we will have to check out if anything new in Vista/W7 can help things get better.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

I'm running Steinway in stand alone mode

Audio: ASIO4All v 2.8 ASIO buffer size= 256 Samples
    Sound is onboard my Intel dg965wh motherboard with Intel E6300 processor
    In Device Manager, under Sound, Video & Game Controllers, this is the only entry: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC (version 6.10.5713.7)

Let me know if you need anything more. Thanks very much.

Go Back to forum