• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sample Library discussions ?

Share/Bookmark

Sample Library discussions ?

There was a time this forum was used to discuss sample libraries. Anybody remember that?

We\'ve come a long way to the point where 50 % of the visitors of this forum are focussing on real versus sampled listening exercises. No offence to Nicolas e.a. for their very valuable contributions.
    I\'m wondering why the Sample Library discussions context is fading; are there no good new releases? (There ARE) do we already know everything about the existing libraries? Maybe it\'s a good idea if people start making their own demo\'s of sample libraries. Certainly I could use a couple of good demo\'s.

But gentlemen (ever wandered why less than 1% of this forum is a woman?) please let\'s go back to business.
    Sorry I just had say this, being \'snowed under\' with work and no time to listen to all these mp3\'s...

Michiel Post www.postaudiomedia.com

Re: Sample Library discussions ?

I think this is a very interesting group, with loads of interesting topics, please don\'t make it a marketing place for the library producers! The way I see it, the \"sample library discussions\" forum rarely goes off topic. I think Nicolash\'s listening exercises are more than welcome, I only wish time would permit for me to join in on them. Maybe on a later exercise!
    Anyway I see your point, Michiel, but I don\'t think people have forgotten what this forum is about. Why don\'t you post a topic with your opinions on some later sample library releases? I\'m sure people will follow up pretty quickly!

Thomas

Deleted text because \'too much ouch!\'.

(Thanks MidiDimwit).

Best regards
    Nicholas

[This message has been edited by nicholash (edited 09-21-2001).]

Deleted text because \'too much ouch!\'.
    (Thanks MidiDimwit).

Best regards
    Nicholas

[This message has been edited by nicholash (edited 09-21-2001).]

Ouch...very ouch.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MidiDimwit:
    Ouch...very ouch.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps too much ouch... Sorry

Nicholas

Hey, where did that list of new libraries go?!

I thought it was actually a very useful summary of several recent libraries. That kind of info is something I DO find useful on this thread.

(AND the listening tests are cool too.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Kral:
    Hey, where did that list of new libraries go?!

I thought it was actually a very useful summary of several recent libraries. That kind of info is something I DO find useful on this thread.

(AND the listening tests are cool too.)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Robert,

Actually, Michiel\'s sample libraries do sound very nice from listening to his mp3 demos, and he covers some interesting instruments extensively that relatively few other sample developers have chosen to cover.

Best regards
    Nicholas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    I think this is a very interesting group, with loads of interesting topics, please don\'t make it a marketing place for the library producers! The way I see it, the \"sample library discussions\" forum rarely goes off topic. I think Nicolash\'s listening exercises are more than welcome, I only wish time would permit for me to join in on them. Maybe on a later exercise!
    Anyway I see your point, Michiel, but I don\'t think people have forgotten what this forum is about. Why don\'t you post a topic with your opinions on some later sample library releases? I\'m sure people will follow up pretty quickly!

Thomas
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much Thomas.

I noticed that a new forum has been very recently introduced on this board to discuss details relating to a specific sample library (i.e. Garritan Orchestral Strings).

Might the moderators also consider adding a new forum for more general discussion of sampling and recording techniques? This may be a more suitable place for things like the \'listening exercise\' threads, since there is starting to be adverse feedback from people such as Munsie, Michael Post and Donnie.

Perhaps the moderators and advertisers supporting these forums may actually want the Sample Libraries Discussions forum to be mainly being a marketing place for the library producers! It reminds me of music technolgy magazines that mainly give positive reviews of equipment for fear of upsetting the music gear makers that actually pay for the adverts to keep those magazines in business.

If the forums do eventually become mainly a place for marketing purposes and for mutual ego massaging purposes, then I myself won\'t find them nearly as interesting and will end up looking elsewhere to find interesting discussions on sampling, etc.

Best regards
    Nicholas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michiel Post:
    Maybe it\'s a good idea if people start making their own demo\'s of sample libraries. Certainly I could use a couple of good demo\'s.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes that would be the most useful to me, I\'d rather make purchase decisions using my ears than anything else. The Garriton strings sound absolutely killer but I\'d like to hear some more customer created demos.

-david abraham

Go Back to forum