• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra - Fugue

Share/Bookmark

Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra - Fugue

I LOVE GPO4!!! Found my old MIDI file I hadn't touched in years, and decided to give it the GPO4 treatment.

GPO4 and the Aria player makes it SOOOO EASY!!!

When I find my score, I of course will go back and put the missing percussion in. Quite frankly, it's been so long since I've worked with this piece, I've forgotten how the perc was scored. Please forgive the un-scored Tam-tam - I couldn't resist.

http://www.classicalmidiresource.com...ugue092509.mp3

Steve

Re: Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra - Fugue

It's a great piece of music. Joyful, dansant, if you dig fugues, of course. My wife thinks even Poulenc doesn't swing, so I doubt she would say the same, but I enjoyed it. Britten was a great composer.

The winds sound better than the strings, but they are difficult to get really natural in such fast passages. Perhaps a shorter "length" would help. The finale sounds great, but if you can add the timpani it will make it even more dramatic. Shades of Shostakovich there in the lower brass.

Thanks for sharing!

I had also forgotten about this piece!

Thanks for reminding me! (Also it's great to know that one can do this in a "short time" (how much did you spend, if I may ask?))

Thanks for the comments.

Heh. OOPS! Yes, the timpani was completely missing 'cause it was being played by a bass-flute player (midi patching error on my part). It's been restored.

I tried to keep the strings sloppy so they wouldn't sound mechanical - works sometimes, not others.

I also cleaned some of the sounds. The celli sounded a bit tubby, and the 1st/2nd violins sounded shrill. Fixed those. Tuba was too loud, there are about 6 trombones with him, and he was drowning them out.

The original MIDI file was sequenced by Dr. David Siu in 1999 as 16 channels. I separated all the voices (that were stacked on one MIDI channel), and ended up with 36 independent channels of MIDI. Added expression data, and varied the velocity on all notes, and this is what I ended up with. The processing on the actual MIDI file took months, a little work at a time. However, Sonar/GPO4 rendered all the MIDI in about 16 seconds.

If you want to hear the latest version, just use the same link in the first post.

Stevemitchell

A very nice piece!!I enjoyed it very very much!

I like how the brass came in, very realistic

Thanks,

Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

I enjoyed that very much. It's one of my favorite pieces and you did it justice - very exciting sound. Tam-tam was a nice touch too!

Thanks for sharing
    Owen

More wonderful work from you, Steve - You're having a great time, we can clearly hear that.

Hey--You haven't replied to the folks on your earlier thread - Good form to do that!

It's great fun reviving good MIDI files like this. I also look forward to hearing something original from you.

Randy

OK. Sometimes I just feel like a work is just not complete. As I felt that way with this one, I worked again on the strings, trying to make them sound better, the brass brassier, and I even added the orchestral hall noise, including the air-conditioner. Oh yeah, I fixed the Tam-tam so it's very much ruder.

If you wanna hear, just click the link in the first post.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell View Post
    I LOVE GPO4!!! Found my old MIDI file I hadn't touched in years, and decided to give it the GPO4 treatment.

GPO4 and the Aria player makes it SOOOO EASY!!!

When I find my score, I of course will go back and put the missing percussion in. Quite frankly, it's been so long since I've worked with this piece, I've forgotten how the perc was scored. Please forgive the un-scored Tam-tam - I couldn't resist.

http://www.classicalmidiresource.com...ugue092509.mp3

Steve
    Stave,

Very nicely done. I complex but very lively piece to tackle to say the least.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Steve, great piece,

Many thanks from a grateful listener,

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast