• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Cage listening test

Share/Bookmark

Cage listening test

Here is an excerpt of Cage\'s 4:33 for piano and violin. Is it sampled or real?
    http://www.dssoundware.com/sounds/CAGE.mp3

Donnie

[This message has been edited by donnie (edited 09-20-2001).]

Re: Cage listening test

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by donnie:
    Here is an excerpt of Cage\'s 4:33 for piano and violin. Is it sampled or real?
    http://www.dssoundware.com/sounds/CAGE.mp3

Donnie

[This message has been edited by donnie (edited 09-20-2001).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I\'ll have a go, but please don\'t laugh at me if I get it wrong (because my ego might kill me!). Besides, it is difficult to tell over this crappy one inch speaker that came out of my old telephone set. Anyway, I think the piano is fake but the violin has too much expression to be anything but the real McCoy. Donnie, you owe us an answer soon.

Nicholas

Hi Donnie,

After repeated listenings, in mono and stereo, I\'ve come to the conclusion that the above example of yours is sampled. Plenty of realism, don\'t get me wrong (you\'ve obviously been practising).

Actually it\'s extremely convincing. The only way I know it\'s sampled is the fact that you\'ve put it up on the internet, therefore you must have sampled it at some point, even if that does mean its a sample of a performance as opposed to a sequence of more traditional samples.

I\'ve always thought sampled performances were the way to go, I think this just proves it.

Then again I suppose I could be wrong.

How many responses to this thread before you tell us?

I actually went to a John Cage concert at the Cornish Institute a number of years ago, where I was actually introduced to Mr. Cage by one of my professors. This was one of the selections on that evening\'s program amongst other solo and ensemble compositions. I\'ll have to say, I think I felt more \"pathos\" and \"introspection\" in the rendition that evening than is evidenced here in this sampled work. I certainly wish you would stop quantizing everything to 100%. It makes the result sound stiff and unconvincing.

DD

[This message has been edited by dandean (edited 09-21-2001).]

Sampled or real, it\'s a superb performance of one of the high points in 20th century music.

Z6Stunning! Beyond anything I\'ve ever heard. But while I was building a shrine to you, I suddenly smelled a rat.

I have a live recording of the original (the famous Greenwich Village recording where Cage scratched his gonads at 2.57-3.19; to rapturous applause), which I compared to your rendition, and the pointy bits in the waveformwere exactly the same.

I\'ve listened to it on $12,000 pair of Zanwigger Headphones and a couple of baked bean tins, and you sir, are a fraud!

I believe you used four separate 1 minute samples followed by 33 seconds of heavy breathing. Adding the extra 10 seconds was the real giveway. I have informed the FBI so you can expect a visit from Mr. Cage\'s grandson, Gummo (who could lose his inheritance if your \'bootleg\' hits the market).

I think you should lose this pathetic \'quantized\' version and put a bit of elbow grease into future efforts, otherwise the rest of us will learn nothing.

I was introduced to Mr. Cage by my psychiatrist and he pinched my arse.

[This message has been edited by Z6 (edited 09-21-2001).]

I can\'t seem to be able to download the file. It turns out to be 32 bytes only.

Thomas

I also have Thomas\' problem, whether I just double click or \'save target as\'.

Tacit

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    I can\'t seem to be able to download the file. It turns out to be 32 bytes only.

Thomas
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Click harder guys. Click harder.

Go Back to forum