• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT Im in a Mixed-up mood

Share/Bookmark

OT Im in a Mixed-up mood

This I believe this is a George Carlin bit about the English Language for all you out there trying to learn the English Language:

This is just for fun because I found it hysterical.

You lovers of the English language might enjoy this .
    There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that is 'UP'
    It's easy to understand UP , meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP ? At a meeting, why does a topic come UP ? Why do we speak UP and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report ?
    We call UP our friends. And we use it to brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver; we warm UP the leftovers and clean UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and some guys fix UP the old car. At other times the little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UPexcuses.. To be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP is special.
    And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP . We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night.
    We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP ! To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4th of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions. If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time , but if you don't give UP ,you may wind UP with a hundred or more. When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP .. When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP ...
    When it rains, it wets the earth and often messes things UP.
    When it doesn't rain for awhile, things dry UP .
    One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP , for now my time is UP , so........it is time to shut UP !
    Oh . . .. one more thing:
    What is the first thing you do in the morning & the last thing you do at night? U-P
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: OT Im in a Mixed-up mood

You forgot .. yours.......... Great article, UP to the max of my understanding of the english language. Let's keep our heads UP.

Raymond - completely Upped

I am fed up wasting my time reading about how screwed up our language is.

If it were up to me, I would rather load up my van for a sound job, than read clever things that George thought up.

He sure was funny!
    Dan

DPDAN - Being fed up has a down side. Its up to you to get up and get down to earth. Down under they pick up are same language and I am sure they get fed up down under. I think I am going to pluck a goose for its down, stuff up a pillow and put my head down and cry.

Actually, I am going to get in my car and start it up and drive down to our local university, go up the walk and down the hall. From ther I will enter the auditorium and go up to my seat where I will sit down for an evening of up-lifting music by Straight No Chaser. That ought to pick up my down feelings.

Ain't English wonderful.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Ain't English wonderful.
    sho nuff...............

Tangentially,

Here is a definition of cricket:

You have two sides one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that goes in goes out and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

When both sides have been in and out including not outs, that's the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    You forgot .. yours.......... Great article, UP to the max of my understanding of the english language. Let's keep our heads UP.

Raymond - completely Upped

Ok, I just got it Im a bit slow! How about the gigue is up or is it the jig is up or the gig is up? I, personally am always happy when the "gig is up" and I can "go on home" - don't think too hard on that one!

Best regards!,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    Tangentially,

Each man that's in the side that goes in goes out and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

When both sides have been in and out including not outs, that's the end of the game.
    Ok, that makes it perfectly clear. That's why you English love cricket. Boy if you hadn't explaned the "Ins and Outs of it" I never would have understood cricket, Thanks.

Now, Who's on first?....

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    ..... Now, Who's on first?.... Bill
    I know that one, hilarious!!!

The Aussies are called coming from "down under". How do they call us? Up above?

In every language we have such words, used over and over again. What to think of the prefix: "pre-".

Pre-boarding,
    Pre-heating,
    Pre-setting,
    etc.....

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    Tangentially,

I've never really understood cricket, but what you just posted has completely destroyed what little I did understand.

LOL! Alan!

Maybe cricket is so confusing because everyone is in and out and no one is....up.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum