• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO4 Expression Maps With Cubase 5.1

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 Expression Maps With Cubase 5.1

Hi,

I'm trying to get the GPO4 Expression Maps that Garritan supply to work in Cubase 5 and I'm not having much success. I've read the Cubase 5 manual and I'm wondering if anyone is using the Expression Maps successfully. If so, how are you doing it?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Milward
    Cubase 5.1/GPO4/Trilogy/Saxlab/Halion 2/Groove Agent 2/Many Soft Synths/SM58
    http://www.milward.org.uk/music

Re: GPO4 Expression Maps With Cubase 5.1

I'll be watching to see if you get replies - It brings up a basic question of my own. Long time MIDI musician that I am, - I don't understand what is going on with "Expression Maps" - ! I've Googled it, gotten blurry-eyed reading about Expression Maps and still don't get it. Automating some things traditionally performed on a keyboard? Templating performance data instead of creating it on a per-project basis--? Or---What?---??

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Milward View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to get the GPO4 Expression Maps that Garritan supply to work in Cubase 5 and I'm not having much success. I've read the Cubase 5 manual and I'm wondering if anyone is using the Expression Maps successfully. If so, how are you doing it?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Hi,

What do you mean by 'not much success'.
    I'm a Garritan newbie and also just changed to Cubase 5
    and these Expression maps work well.

I tried it with the string sections.
    The only thing I had to do, was to adapt the switch notes in the
    ouput settings window (Midi->Expression maps settings).
    You will have to move them an octave up or down.
    After that I could enter e.g. "pizz." into my note editor or event
    editor and the violins patch changed to its corresponding articulation.
    (Also there is a VST-Expression demo cpr the manual is referring to
    where you can easily see how all this works)

greetz
    Robert

I've only read a magazine article about it, but the idea is that it translates between musical notation and e.g. key switches. So if you tell Cubase to use the proper keymap, it will recognize F1 as pizzicato, and vice-versa and even "chase" the key switches, no matter where you start your sequence. There is a difference between directions and attributes, but I cannot explain it. Just load an old sequence, apply the keymaps and see what happens in your score...

I've looked at the Cubase demonstration project of Expression Maps and that works well. I just can't get it to work properly in my own projects.

For instance, when I click in the Articulations Lane in Key Editor, I get a black rectangle, not a proper entry. I've changed the keys in the Expression Map editor. I don't get the thin black lines indicating the start of a note in the Articulation Lane.

I just can't work out what I'm doing wrong. Very frustrating. I may just give up on it and enter the data manually in the project.

Steve
    Steve Milward

If someone gives me permission to a crosspost to a topic on Cubase.net, there is a lot of useful info there.
    (otherwise, just do a forum search there, for "Expression" (and narrow it down to "vic_france"). sorry
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Ah yes, of course, FLWrd, thanks for your explanation. Those kind of mappings are what notation programs do so all the markings are translated by the program for playback.

But why so important in a sequencer like Cubase--? Having keyswitches chased when you've paused a project - that would be convenient, but I'll probably have to experiment to see what I've been missing otherwise. The way things work now I'm perfectly content with!

Randy

I've been on the Cubase.net forum and now have answers. The Garritan maps can be wrong. This thread tells you how to correct at least the Solo Strings one.

http://bit.ly/7W5sf

On my rig, the Solo Strings Lite map worked out of the box, but the Solo Strings didn't. I've now changed the map and all is well.

Were the Garritan maps tested before release? I imagine they were, but with many people telling stories of woe about them, one wonders how much testing took place.
    Steve Milward

I'll have to go look at that Cubase Forum - maybe I'll get a better idea of why Expression Maps would be something so useful in a sequencer. - I'm still not getting it.

Randy

I'd love to have it in Logic. Take a look at this:

You can put your articulations in your score (or in a separate lane in the piano scroll) and the sequencer sends the correct program changes, modulation commands, key switches, whatever. Just one pizzicato note? Just put a dot on your note and that's it. Perfect. More information in Sound on Sound magazine.

Go Back to forum