• Register
  • Help

Topic: 2 issues with Steinway and Aria

Share/Bookmark

Question 2 issues with Steinway and Aria

ISSUE #1
    I contacted aria support through the contact tab on the steinway GUI, got an immediate response from Tony, followed up with more info, and now I still have no response. Here are the correspondence:

Tony,
    I read through my message and it seems as though I didn't really tell you much-sorry
    If I launch the Steinway (click the icon in application folder), I get an error that says,
    "Please check sample rate". Only option is to click the OK button. When I do, the GUI opens and all appears fine.
    I load the basic set of samples and the Aria players works, BUT ONLY if "built-in output" is selected.
    If, through the preferences, I choose Digidesign HW (002), I get nothing through the 002. The MIDI data doesn't even appear to get to the player,
    and yet it does (graphic kybd responds and audio present) when "built-in output is selected in preferences.
    I've also noticed that sometimes when making ANY type of adjustment on Main, Space, or Tune pages, that parameters snap back to their default value.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

J. Murphy

On Sep 20, 2009, at 3:12 AM, Tony Monaghan wrote:

What errors are you getting when running standalone?

I originally wrote:
    I cannot get the aria player to operate in standalone mode with either the basic Steinway or GPO4. Works fine in a ProTools session, though
    24" iMac 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo OS X 10.5.7
    4Gb memory
    I am using a Digi 002 console
    I have the steinway samples loaded on an external drive

ISSUE #2
    E6 and only E6, sounds like I'm coming down on it with a sledge hammer!
    No matter how lightly I play the velocity is pegged at 127
    OOPS! Thought I would try some other VIs to confirm that it was a Steinway/Aria issue and guess what? It isn't. All the VIs get pegged w/that stupid key. I use a K2600XS, I know it's off topic, but anybody know what's up with that?

Re: 2 issues with Steinway and Aria

Quote Originally Posted by murphymusic View Post
    E6 and only E6, sounds like I'm coming down on it with a sledge hammer!
    No matter how lightly I play the velocity is pegged at 127
    OOPS! Thought I would try some other VIs to confirm that it was a Steinway/Aria issue and guess what? It isn't. All the VIs get pegged w/that stupid key. I use a K2600XS, I know it's off topic, but anybody know what's up with that?
    I have a Kurzweil K2000 and a few of it's keys are pegged out at 127 too,
    even with slight touch, it's just the nature of an old keyboard.

The velocities are easily adjusted in the sequencer though.
    I took the bottom off the keyboard thinking there might be small screw driver
    adjustment pots for velocities of each key, but nope.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    I have a Kurzweil K2000 and a few of it's keys are pegged out at 127 too,
    even with slight touch, it's just the nature of an old keyboard.
    Dan,
    I just finished putting the K2600 back together. Removed the offending key, blew out & cleaned the contacts (pretty impressive dust bunnies). Works like a charm now, full velocity range restored!

Doesn't anyone have a fix for issue #1? Aria standalone not working w/digi 002 console?? Anyone?

Wow, this is really a quiet place!
    Either no one knows why I cannot get the standalone aria player for Basic Steinway or GPO4 to work with my digi 002 interface, or they don't care to help. My original post is now a month old, can (will) anyone shed some light on my problem?

Quote Originally Posted by murphymusic View Post
    Wow, this is really a quiet place!
    Either no one knows why I cannot get the standalone aria player for Basic Steinway or GPO4 to work with my digi 002 interface, or they don't care to help. My original post is now a month old, can (will) anyone shed some light on my problem?
    To break the silence, I don't have that kind of keyboard, sorry.

Raymond

I'm not talking about my keyboard (issue #2), that has been resolved.

It's hard for me to give you an accurate answer since I don't have access to a Digi 002 console - but here's some information that may help. There's almost certainly a problem Aria is running into when it runs the Digi drivers (since built in audio works fine). The Digi hardware drivers for CoreAudio have been a bit infamous for not working very well in past years, and this may be fixed in recent driver updates. I would suggest for you to go to the Digi web page or calling/emailing Digi to find out where to go, and try to get the latest CoreAudio driver for the 002. The web pages
    http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...&categoryid=36
    and
    http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...&categoryid=36
    look promising, but I'm not very familiar with different ProTools set ups so I'm not sure this is where to go.

As for the message about the bad samplerate, I've gotten this once in the past when the stand-alone was trying to access a driver already in use by another application (I think for me Sound Forge had already taken exclusive access to the driver before I launched the Steinway standalone). This is a bit obscure and may be just an odd thing I ran into, but it wouldn't hurt for you to try closing all other applications before you start the Steinway stand-alone and choose the 002.

The easiest solution would probably be to use the Steinway as an RTAS plugin within ProTools. Digi has solid drivers for the native ProTools hardware format, so I doubt you'd run into the sort of problems you're getting when you try to use digi hardware with CoreAudio in Steinway stand-alone.

Go Back to forum