• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Powerful Brass

Share/Bookmark

Powerful Brass

All this talk about brass ensembles inspired me to do a demo using the Prosonus stuff. I\'m telling you guys this stuff has BALLS!!

Instruments used were:

Prosonus Brass esembles
    Prosonus violin section
    Prosonus Celli section

This is one of my fav. movements of ANY symphony!

I ran it straight out of Finale so it\'s not humanized at all which probably would have helped it a little.

Donnie
    http://www.dssoundware.com/sounds/SHOSTAKOVICH.mp3

[This message has been edited by donnie (edited 09-20-2001).]

Re: Powerful Brass

Donnie,

Please take the time to make a good, expressive humanized version of this symphony midi-mockup excerpt. A finished demo.

The marcato strings sound pretty useful, but with this amount of hyper-quantizing the brass sections really sound like a tutti-register organ playing loud chords. I\'m sorry to say so. The playing style is so un-brass\'ish that it\'s just impossible to make a fair judgement of these Prosonus samples this way! Please do some non-Finale midi editing and post it again!

Maarten

I have to agree with Maarten on this one--the demo sounds like strings and pipe organ.

Shostakovich is twisting in his grave
    I think this piece could benefit greatly from some proper sequencing. I\'m not sure how you work donnie, but I usually don\'t bother with samples when I\'m working in Finale. The default GM setup tend to give me a fair idea of how the orchestration sounds. I\'m sure the prosonus library you\'re working on would sound better than the average GM setup. Could you perhaps explain how it substitutes a typical GM sound palette in a notation program enviroment? Are there seperate trombones, horns and trumpet section samples? It would be interesting to hear a \"humanized\" version!

Thomas

Where do you get Prosonus? Is it an old Akai library?

clueless

That short excerpt is great music. I must find out more about Shostakovich.

Thanks Donnie.

Best regards
    Nicholas

There seems to be a misconception here that Finale can\'t be used as an effective sequencer for expressive playback. While the interface may not be designed for sequencing use in the manner that a program like Cakewalk is, as far as I know Finale can record and playback all of the same types of performance data that Cakewalk can. Finale is not limited to the quantized feel of a program like Sibelius.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by astrt4:
    There seems to be a misconception here that Finale can\'t be used as an effective sequencer for expressive playback. While the interface may not be designed for sequencing use in the manner that a program like Cakewalk is, as far as I know Finale can record and playback all of the same types of performance data that Cakewalk can. Finale is not limited to the quantized feel of a program like Sibelius.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Astrt4,

Please correct me if I\'m wrong, but I think Sibelius isn\'t limited to a quantised feel: It has what Sibelius refers to as the \"Espressivo\" function, that is intended to provide a way to breathe life into potentially sterile-sounding playback (i.e. for \'humanising\' the playback).

Best regards
    Nicholas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maarten Spruijt:
    Donnie,

Please take the time to make a good, expressive humanized version of this symphony midi-mockup excerpt. A finished demo.

The marcato strings sound pretty useful, but with this amount of hyper-quantizing the brass sections really sound like a tutti-register organ playing loud chords. I\'m sorry to say so. The playing style is so un-brass\'ish that it\'s just impossible to make a fair judgement of these Prosonus samples this way! Please do some non-Finale midi editing and post it again!

Maarten
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that\'s you told(?) Thanks Donnie. It was useful to me - it did have balls. While it\'s great to hear wonderful MP3\'s that have been lovingly sculpted, it\'s also great to hear what a library can do in rough-and-ready mode.

Now, go and write 500 times \"I must take more time with my published libraries, and not rashly sling something together for the sheer hell of it, lest I offend any artists.\"

Z6,

thanks for the comments. That was the intention of that demo...to show the power of the brass which it does definately have. Most days I just don\'t have time to go in and \"sculpt\" every note so it\'s nice to just pump something out of Finale.

The \"sampling guestopo\" should know better than that and stick to fixing their own problems such as the three junior high school tones in that trumpet ensemble.

Ok, now go ahead and flame me for speaking my mind....I\'m ready.

Donnie

Go Back to forum