• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wrote my first film score.... sort of...

Share/Bookmark

Wrote my first film score.... sort of...

For the rest of you, this would be nothing. For a guy who up til now has been strictly a notation-based composer, I actually wrote two film cues the other day. No big deal of course, for they amounted to only a couple of minutes. But for me it was a new experience. An entirely new experience.

My daughter is a film major student at USC and has to make a 5-minute film. She asked me to make some music, just a little bit for the film, so I did so. Used Logic Pro entirely with just the sounds from logic. (I own about 8 or 9 sample libraries and still don't have any command at how to use them....) all the same, I was very pleased with what I did.... a far cry from the usual 19th century style string quartet work that I usually do (on Finale).

One of the cues is for a scary chase scene and I suppose that making "nervous" sounding music is not too difficult. It wasn't hard for me (and I'm sure it would not be difficult for anyone here as well.) Not too difficult but a lot of fun to do.

Say,... maybe I can try a few more of these ???!!!

David Young

Re: Wrote my first film score.... sort of...

Link, please. Let's hear it!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I made a Mp3 files and sent both cues to my daughter. I don't have it anywhere on the internet. (not sure where to put it!) Maybe sometime. Thanks for your note of interest! I appreciate it.

David

Congratulations David!

Sounds like a fun project. It's always exciting to try something different.

Jeff

David,

pm me if you like and I can arrange to host them on the net for you...

Best

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by chambermusic View Post
    For the rest of you, this would be nothing. For a guy who up til now has been strictly a notation-based composer, I actually wrote two film cues the other day. No big deal of course, for they amounted to only a couple of minutes. But for me it was a new experience. An entirely new experience.

My daughter is a film major student at USC and has to make a 5-minute film. She asked me to make some music, just a little bit for the film, so I did so. Used Logic Pro entirely with just the sounds from logic. (I own about 8 or 9 sample libraries and still don't have any command at how to use them....) all the same, I was very pleased with what I did.... a far cry from the usual 19th century style string quartet work that I usually do (on Finale).

One of the cues is for a scary chase scene and I suppose that making "nervous" sounding music is not too difficult. It wasn't hard for me (and I'm sure it would not be difficult for anyone here as well.) Not too difficult but a lot of fun to do.

Say,... maybe I can try a few more of these ???!!!

David Young
    I assume the reply should go here. Shows you how brand new I am to all of this. I hope to be writing a little orchestration myself soon. Its something I've always dreamed now, and it all seems possible after all. I just have to learn how to use this site properly. Best wishes to you in all your endevours. JoelG

Go Back to forum