• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bartok - Violin Concerto #2 - 1mv - GPO4

Share/Bookmark

Bartok - Violin Concerto #2 - 1mv - GPO4

Hello;
    Tough choice deciding what to post next! Here is my take on the 1st movement of Violin Concerto #2 by Bela Bartok. This was my biggest GPO project to-date, 34 tracks in Cubase and 14 minutes long! Anyway, Bartok scoffed at convention and had a sense of humor! I have become quite fond of this piece.

Bela Bartok - Violin Concerto #2 - 1st mv - GPO4 by sd cisco

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Bartok - Violin Concerto #2 - 1mv - GPO4

Wow, a long complex piece and I think you did a great job- enjoyed it!

Bartok is one of my favorites as well.

How exactly did you go about this? Did you work from a score, a midi or from memory?

Most of the piece is done very very well, but.....

Don't you just hate it when someone says but?

There are some spots where the velocities seem to be the same so there isn't much variation in the sounds. There is a spot where the violin does one note over and over where you have the machine gun effect going on.

The same effect, though not as pronounced is at the beginning with the pizz. Just a bit of alteration of the velocities will fix all of that.

Nice piece to chose for rendering.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInFL View Post
    Wow, a long complex piece and I think you did a great job- enjoyed it!
    Hey there Mike!
    Tell me, does MikeInFL mean "Mike in Florida"? Thank you for listening to this long and complex piece! I found this music kind of grew on me over the many repeated listenings involved in this activity. Just a few bars in from the start, Bartok does this little bit where it sounds like jumbled-up harmonies roll into a woolly ball for a few seconds, before he clarifies the situation with the resolution from the Dominant to the Tonic, with a quick little run up the scale. He does similar things a couple more times through the piece, he wants the listeners to think they're about to plunge into atonal oblivion!! It's like a pop-up monster on a scary ride into the "Tunnel of Horrors" at the county fair, a trick to temporarily deceive the listener! But then he launches into the main thematic material and quickly earns the attention of his audience, with virtuoso violin work.
    Although this was a different workflow than with the Zaderatsky stuff, both projects have really improved my understanding of how to utilize the GPO4 resource. Thank you for your comments!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Wow, quite an undertaking SD. As it happens, I'm
    quite familiar with the score, though the piece isn't
    heard all that often -- an excellent job on this,
    overall, in the evident understanding and almost
    Classical interpretation of the work. Recordings I've
    heard of this too often succumb to the temptation
    to Romanticize the piece, overly sentimentalizing it
    -- which I don't believe was Bartok's intent.

Solid rendering as well -- though a little work on
    those repeated notes mentioned above would be
    a worthwhile improvement.

Well done, and a pleasure to hear someone taking
    on a fairly difficult, more modern work like this.

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Ron;
    I appreciate your comments, there are a couple of places where the notes are like so many widgets, and a few other things as you mention and all I can say is it was another good learning experience for me, but like a lot of other things, I doubt if I will revisit.
    sd cisco

David;
    Thank you for your kind comments! I am glad you took notice of the "fairly difficult, more modern work" aspect of this piece! As you can imagine, I rendered at least a dozen versions of this and it was a bear for my computer to handled, especially once the effects were rolled in. I use Cubase, and when you had it ready to go for a render and hit "Export", without any exaggeration, it would take my poor P4 3.25 Ghz + 2GB of RAM computer, about 10 to 12 minutes before it actually displayed the progress bar!! I think part is attributable to the length of the piece as well as the number of tracks (34), as well as my use of the SIR 1 reverberation on each track, which tends to use a lot of CPU resources.
    But, I thought something a bit edgier and more forward looking might be overdue around here, in terms of offering renders of other peoples work.
    Never one to sit still for long, since completing(?) this, I have taken on a Cello Concerto by Paul Hindemith. It is really lovely and energetic at the same time and came out very well indeed. I have also transcribed a Beethoven Bagatalle with it's own set of virtues as well as a growing number of unusual pieces from the Renaissance Period, always one of my faves!!!
    Thanks again David, I appreciate it!
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum