• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Export Audio Question

Share/Bookmark

Export Audio Question

Hi, I'm a new user and just recently got Finale 2010 with Garritan sounds that came with it.

I'm very impressed with the playback sounds and ease of use!

However, when I export to an audio file (.wav), and play it through windows media player, it doesn't seem to sound the same as playback in the Finale program.

Does this have anything to do with windows media player, soundcard (standard directsound) , garritan ambience (what does midi learn do?), etc.?

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions
    Thanks

Leon

Re: Export Audio Question

What differences do you hear?
    Marcelo Colina

I'm not sure what the difference you're asking about is, but I might venture a guess...

It has been mentioned on one of the forums (not sure which one) that there is an issue with effects plugins and the way audio is rendered from Finale 2010. Go to MIDI/Audio / Instrument Setup / VST Instruments and check where you have activated your effects plugins. For instance, if you activate your reverb (Garritan Ambiance or other) in the Master FX box, it seems to have no effect on the rendered audio (audio will have no reverb effect). If you remove it from the Master FX box and activate it in the FX box next to each instance of your VST instrument, the effect will render along with the audio.

Again, I'm not sure if this is the problem you're having, but it would account for a marked difference in the sound between your playback within Finale and the rendered audio.

Hope this helps.

I have noticed also that some Finale users have a hard time getting a healthy volume on their tracks. Awhile back I imported someone's rendering and could see that the wave form was tiny, at least 10 times softer than it should have been. This is a matter of working with Finale's mixer.

Randy

Thanks for your help guys. You're right Randy, there is a big difference in volume. I guess I have to mess with the mixer, eq, and still try not to distort the playback.

loogoo, thanks, that was also an issue and I did notice I was setting the master fx in garritan ambience but not the individual fx. That made a big difference but I wonder if there could be any other differences between playback in Finale and in Windows media player. I might have to get some better speakers.

by the way, in Garritan Ambience, what does the midi learn function do?

Leon

Leonid, can you add some fx like compressor, limiter, to the Finale Mixer?
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by Leonid View Post
    Thanks for your help guys. You're right Randy, there is a big difference in volume. I guess I have to mess with the mixer, eq, and still try not to distort the playback.

loogoo, thanks, that was also an issue and I did notice I was setting the master fx in garritan ambience but not the individual fx. That made a big difference but I wonder if there could be any other differences between playback in Finale and in Windows media player. I might have to get some better speakers.

by the way, in Garritan Ambience, what does the midi learn function do?

Leon
    Hello Leon,

I also read a post in the Sonar forums mentioning playback volume problems with Windows Media Player. A solution was found for this particular problem reported as follows:

[Quote] OK after trying loads of different export settings ( Main Outs, No dither , etc etc ) I finally nailed the problem down to Kontakt 2.

For some reason I had set the Offline Interpolation settings to : Perfect.
    Changing this back to Like Real Time has solved the issue. [Unquote]

I realise your issue is with Finale and not Sonar and that the solution suggests the poster might be recording direct through the Kontakt Player. There probably is no connection between your situation and the one I quoted but I thought I'd mention it anyway .. you never know!

Hope you find an answer.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

This maybe too simple of an answer, but it is worth checking. Are you using the Aria ENgine (I assume yes) and are you using the Garritan notation instruments - I usually use GPO4/GPO/Notation instrument list. That way the human playback is rendered when exporting to audio.

Just a thought,

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

If you're using the Ambience plugin the default settings are pretty much 100% wet. There are different opinions on this but basically move the wet slider down to say -3 and the dry slider up to +3 and see if this helps.

Some like wet to be -6 and dry at 0. You can experiment to see what works best without distortion but you get the idea.

Steve Winkler

Thanks for the feeback guys. Bill, I'm using the Aria player with Garritan instruments and Finale.

Thanks Steve. I noticed the wet and dry settings really make a difference in volume, not just reverb.

What does the midi learn function on Garritan Ambience do?

Leon

Go Back to forum