• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tips with Garritan Orch Strings

Share/Bookmark

Tips with Garritan Orch Strings

I wanted to start a thread out here for Beta testers to share some tips we\'ve found with using this library to help end users get the most out of this amazing...yet HUGE library.

Damon has already found the Grand Detache layering idea, and of course found the samples to be his favorite...like I\'m sure most people will

Also the use of GPC-5 and GPC-2 in conjunction with Maestro Tools is tricky but helpful. Moving GPC-2 (release) down during faster passages seems to help me, as well as moving GPC-5 (legato mask attack).

Layering short bows under the Long bows (across ports or MIDI channels) REALLY helps with adding/accenting bow movement with legato passages. Use the velocity sensitivity on the Short bows and the LEG long bows to get a really expressive instrument. Since you are combining the EXP on the Mod Wheel AND the velocity on the short bows you can \"accent\" the strings by hitting the keys harder but still get the natural volume of the EXP instruments. This does take a bit of volume layering and different short bows work better for different purposes but is something I\'ve found to really add another layer of expression. (read: Dis this does sound good ) Remember to use the Decay Control on the short bows to shorten up the sound of them. They layer better when you don\'t hear the full natural decay (GPC-1 I believe)

Another note about GPC control. It helps to \"float\" these around in real time and to add to the expressiveness in playing.

Ex.: Shortening the decay on the short bows during softer velocities for a rhythmic passage (ex: da da DA - da da DA da) helps for a more realistic sound.

EQ. Most of us have found that a cutback at 3000-4000 (depending on your ear) with a very small EQ helps the strings \"sit\" better in certain mixes. EQing each section separately gives a little more fine tune EQ than doing the whole mix but even the whole mix can be done with pleasing results.

Coarse Tune. I found that one can layer the different short bows of the violins detuned to create even more attacks of the other sections and to get special effects. I stress layering as the sound is definitely not as good as the actual samples of the section, but for attack attack variations on top of existing samples its not too shabby. down 2-3 steps works to make them sound like violas, and 5-7 like cellos. Any more for Bass.....but it does get a bit extreme sounding.

Anyone else? I know I\'m forgetting a thing or two, and I know other people have had their own experiences with controllers and have probably found other end results they like.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Re: Tips with Garritan Orch Strings

Perhaps you can enlighten me on the \'detache layering idea\' since I dont know what it\'s about?

About EQ\'ing I find that taking out a good chunk on violins and violas at both around 1350hz and 2900 hz (not too narrow a band), helps making the sound more \'Hollywood\'.

Just talking obut layering the Detaches over/under the LEG SUS instruments to add that \"expresive\" sound on top of the sustaining instruments. Its no where near the same getting longer GR Det samples, but it adds that expressive sound on top of the regular sustains.

i did try building longer multi crossfade variation ntoes in Vegas and try them out, but they loose the natural expressiveness that come with the players jsut \"playing\". Its funny too, there wasn\'t much of a \"noticable\" loop since it was multiple crossfae points, but the original sample still soudned better to my ear.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damon:

may I ask about how many dbs you subtract from the 1350 and 2900 hz range for the strings?
    Also, any EQ tips for brightening up the cello pizzicato and taking away some of the muddiness?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would take out between 6-12db at 1350 and the same at 2900hz. On \'Going In\' I had an EQ setting takeing out 12db and 10db. Sorry, no idea about the cello pizz.

KingIdiot,

In the final release version the controllers are as follows:

GPC-2 Release control for Long Bows and certain other instruments (like Tremolo and Grand Detache)

GPC-5 Masking sample control for Long Bow LEG instruments

GPC-6 Wet/Dry control for Pizz and Col Legno

GPC-7 Filter control for WARM instruments

GPC-8 Length control for most short bows

Beta versions varied from this, so that might be the source of the confusion.

wait... what library are we talking about?

heheeee

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

I like to break up each section into at least 3 tracks. One each for Long Bows, Short Bows, and another for pizzicato and other special articulations. This makes it much easier to layer the articulations together. Also, I can then setup the GPC controls for each type of bowing.

If you\'re not getting the sound you want - make sure you check out the GPC controls. I don\'t know of another library that gives you this kind of control over the sounds!

Tip for Maestro Tools:

When using auto-alternating bowing, make sure you insert the Bb1 (Bb0 depending on setup) key where you want the auto-alternating to stop. Failure to do this will cause every other note to not play on non-alternating patches.

I realized why the cello pizz was sounding muddy. It was because I had the GPC 6 controller set to WET along with the NFX reverb. When I set the GPC to DRY, the pizz stands out more.
    One of the many cool features included with this library .
    Also, can I still use other sounds in Gigastudio when using Maestro Tools (I don\'t mean play other sounds and have Maestro Tools do stuff to them, I just mean play other sounds in general.)? The reason I ask this is because I have a \'template\' stored in Giga as a setup for my songs that loads in a metronom on Gigas track 2 to play as a click track on track 2 in Cakewalk. Will I still be able to hear this even though I have to change the Delta driver to the Marble Sound driver?

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 09-18-2001).]

You should have no problems playing other sounds through the MarbleSound driver. Just make sure the the MIDI channels are disabled in the MaestroTools utility for the port you\'re using if you don\'t want MaestroTools to effect it. All channels should be set to bypass by default. I leave everything bypassed and only uncheck the channels I\'m using for the strings. We have found that you can use the Mono mode for other libraries though.

Thanks Hadyn.

Go Back to forum