• Register
  • Help

Topic: Key Switch for mute

Share/Bookmark

Key Switch for mute

This might be the wrong forum for this question but...

I am looking for how to program the "mute" technique as part of the playback in Finale. Right now the mute selection from the expression's tool has no playback parameters. I am assume it has to do with the 'dump' parameter and it will need the Garritan key switch number for that dump, but for the life of me, I can't find that in the documentation.

Word of Caution: Please no Finale Basher Answers - I am lookng for specific answers, if you don't understand my question, please do not offer an answer.

Thanks and best regards,

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Key Switch for mute

it depends which instrument, I guess.
    every time I've written "con sord." it has automatically chosen the appropriate KS for the mute.

however, a caveat.. for some reason, I have a LOT more trouble getting the "mute off" KS to be recognized.

I've had to program a technique into HP that recognizes "via sordino" as "play the KS for regular sound".

remember that for the best results, your expressions should have NO playback "definition", and be basically just text.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    it depends which instrument, I guess.
    every time I've written "con sord." it has automatically chosen the appropriate KS for the mute.

however, a caveat.. for some reason, I have a LOT more trouble getting the "mute off" KS to be recognized.

I've had to program a technique into HP that recognizes "via sordino" as "play the KS for regular sound".

remember that for the best results, your expressions should have NO playback "definition", and be basically just text.
    Good points qccowboy, and I understand the concept, just making it happen is the problem. The expressions have no playback definitions, God knows I tried to do it that way and - a whole can of beans spills. I would bne interested in how you programed the "via sordino" expression to shut the mute sound off.

I do see in the Aria Engine you can switch mute on or off, but once its on it is on always. I do not see how to, in playback, get the switching of mute on and off. I have this same question posted on the Finale Forum and am getting similar responses.

Thanks,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

you need to create a technique in HumanPlayback. not in the Aria player.

look at the HP technique definition for "normal" playback.
    then use that as the basis for your new technique.
    that's what I did.
    I had it recognize the text expression "via sord." to initiate the "normal playback" KS.

OK, I am still frustrated by this problem. It works in Finale 2010, but not in my 2009, and it should. I am told that maybe my HP for the brass is missing. When I look at it in the menu, everything looks normal. I have this thread going at the Finale forum and have even sent a message to tech. support. I am hoping one of the 'gurus' here at Garritan can steer me in the right direction. I get muted passages when I click the Keyswitch area on the Aria Engne, but then all is muted. I want to be able to use the terms open and mute for brass to create those passages. I really don't want to upgrade to 2010!

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

I have a solution thanks to Steve Winkler!

Follow the link to the Finale Forum to see what Steve led me to.

http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=272414#m272657

This may help some others here. had to create a new techniqu (one of the buttons) that would be OPEN for brass and then both the OPEN and MUTE expressions worked.

Yeah, Yipee, Yeah - now I am making music.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Well, I ran into a bug by using a D.S. in the music to redirect (repeat) a section. And the OPEN was not detected. The solution came to me when I thought about how Finale creates the midi file. Here's what I posted on the Finale Forum:

Well, it works perfectly without creating the open brass technique. Was going wrong was that I had a D.S. directing the music back to measure 8 which I also added the open expression to. However on the D.S. it remained mutes. So I copied the return idea that was to be open and inserted it after the D.S. and removed the D.S. and coda signs. Voila! It works like a charm - I am so happy.

What must be happening is the D.S. is redirecting a live performer back, but the internal midi file is simply going on thus not receiving the open command! Got to think like the computer. Doesn't hurt that I have programming skills!

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum