• Register
  • Help

Topic: World Premiere one week from today!

Share/Bookmark

World Premiere one week from today!

One week from today - October 9 - my musical Rivertown opens.
    I was contacted by the Madison, Indiana 2009 Bicentennial Committee on September 20, 2007 and asked if I would be interested in accepting a commission to compose a 2-act Broadway-style musical for their year-long celebration.

It has been quite a journey with a lot of ups and downs. The final orchestral score has almost 3000 measures, 21 songs, 28 total musical sections and the pit has 10 players. Well, I hope they do. The cello and oboe player dropped out recently and they start rehearsing Sunday - Thursday. Today I was told that they have found a cello player and are still looking for the oboe player. I suggested they use a synth for the oboe if they cannot find someone - better than nothing. I would borrow a Proteus 2 from Snorlax in that case - thanks Jim if it comes to that.

Dress rehearsals are Monday - Thursday next week. Initially I had planned to sit through a couple of them, but I have decided against that. You know how dress rehearsals can be and I just don't need the stress. I may go down and test my new Canon HD video camcorder for a short time to see how it works with stage lighting.

I have dropped in now and then to mainly just get digital stills for the Rivertown DVD I am making. So far, most of what I have heard has been good. Now and then a singer has changed a note or two, but those things will happen. We had a singer who really could not handle his solo, so they are backing him up with singers lit up behind a scrim and it will work.

I have not seen any dancing and there are some big numbers.

It is all out of my hands, so I think it will be best to just go to the premiere and see it for the first time with everyone else. After I get introduced on stage and say a few words to the audience, I will go to the balcony and videotape the show to keep myself busy. The next night I will probably just sit and watch the show with my wife and our best friends. I will go to all 6 shows - I have friends and family coming to all of the shows.

I am, of course, anxious, but I know that these are high school students and anything can happen. They have been working hard and will do their best. I am making a "the making of Rivertown" bonus sections for the DVD that I think people will really like. Going to Madison today to get some scenics and shots of the historic streets and buildings that I will use with voice overs.

I may post some clips online somewhere later. If any want the DVD, I will make it as cheap as I can for forum members. After the show is over, we will look at some tweaking and see what others think about it and hopefully market it in a year or two. If not - it still has all been worth it for me.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: World Premiere one week from today!

Thanks for the update--! I can feel your nerves through reading your post - It IS a crazy time for any show. I think you're doing yourself a favor just staying away, letting the directors do what they can - and then the show will be what it will be!

"...The cello and oboe player dropped out recently..."

Burns me up - SOrry to say, musicians in these kind of community shows Always provide the shakiest, flakiest element to the productions. They tend to be extremely uncommitted, thinking of it as just a gig that they can either show up for or not, no sense of how their behavior effects a show. They also are always extremely under-rehearsed, coming in for a few rehearsals in the last week---awful, when casts have worked for months.

A show in town awhile back done with a live band - OPENING NIGHT--the bass player didn't show up for Act One--why?--because she had another gig, a better paying one we have to assume --I was in the audience wondering why the band was sounding so wimpy, with no solid grounding - that kind of happens when there's no bass. The bass player showed up for Act Two--and gee whiz, the band suddenly sounded pretty good. - The poor singers were straining to hear the pulse of the music in Act One, and they were sloppy as a result. grrrrrrrrr---musicians.

Anyway---I'm sure it'll turn out great, very excited for you!

Randy

I am really looking forward to your response to opening night. And if there are any links to media coverage, please post them as well.

Best of luck with it!

Best of luck with your show!

Burns me up - SOrry to say, musicians in these kind of community shows Always provide the shakiest, flakiest element to the productions. They tend to be extremely uncommitted, thinking of it as just a gig that they can either show up for or not, no sense of how their behavior effects a show. They also are always extremely under-rehearsed, coming in for a few rehearsals in the last week---awful, when casts have worked for months.
    I know what you mean amount musicians for these shows. I've played piano in the pit for quite a few shows. Did Brigadoon once and the string players were awful. They wouldn't follow the conductor. In sections with just exposed strings and no piano, they would just fall apart. I had my Proteus 2 with me and ended up layering strings with them which fixed the problem and made it sound much better!

Jim

Congratulations Charles! I'm still hoping I can make it to one of your shows. Hope the bass player shows up!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Best of luck! Keep us posted on how it goes.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Best of luck with your World Premier - WOW
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum