• Register
  • Help

Topic: Spectrum VSTi Piano Choice

Share/Bookmark

Spectrum VSTi Piano Choice

I began writing songs inspired by that wondrous feeling of the strings of a real piano moving through my body.

As a minister's son, my dad understood and responded. By 14, we had a baby grand in the living room and an upright in the garage.

Omnisphere is having a similiar physical response on my senses.

Lately I find SampleTank pianos just aren't enough.

Is there a Spectrum VSTi Piano Choice?

Or shall I wait . . .

Re: Spectrum VSTi Piano Choice

Re: "Is there a Spectrum VSTi Piano Choice?"
    While I'm sure Eric (aka "Spectrum") will be flattered, it's actually his company Spectrasonics that makes Omnisphere. In any case, no there isn't yet a super piano from that company. IMHO, the three best piano software packages available these days are QL Pianos from EastWest (without a doubt my pick for the best), Ivory and Pianoteq (suitable for some types of music). However if you want that spine tingling effect, go for the EW QL package (.com). The Steinway and Bosendorfer pianos in that collection are especially outstanding...and they work extremly well in combination with Omnisphere or just on their own. Check out the demo pieces........playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

You could check TruePianos surprisingly good, free demo
    Core i7 920, Win 7 RC 64, Cubase 5 64, Omnisphere, Trilogy, RMX, EWQLSO Plat EW Choirs, GPO, Stradivari, Gofrilla, Absynth 4, Halion 3, Kontakt3, BFD2, VSL Strings, JBridge running all 32 bit apps well.

Thanks for the responses. I'll check them out.

Was hoping to discover if there be a Spectrasonics Grand Piano at some point, or is Spectrum satisfied with what is already out there.

Anyway, Trillian will be my next purchase.

24, 23, 22 . . .

Pianoteq is a good choice in my opinion. I think it's a matter of taste or hearing To my ears Pianoteq is good, and I like how it's modelled and not sampled.

www.pianoteq.com
    try the demo!

Here's a little piece made with Pianoteq and Omnisphere and some NI Massive.
    http://mulperi.net/mp3/Rainbow_in_th...t_pianomix.mp3

After listening to Rainbows in the Night three times, I studied the options suggested.

EastWest LQ Piano website has a wonderful test for the different pianos playing the exact same midi file. They all sounded high quality. Yet my nervous system could feel the Pianoteq. The resonance was more penetrating than just reverb. This is exactly what I was looking for. Was fun to compare.

I'm not sure Omnisphere could top these piano options, but who knows. I've still only auditioned less than a 1/4 of the patches and it has taken me months. You get inspired along the way.

With Christmas around the corner, maybe I'll ask for Pianoteq. Soon I'll be investing in Trilian, and spending money on others.

Loved Rainbows . . . intimate like David Lanz, yet unique. Much success.

Pianoteq is ideal for me.

Thanks

I can report that I am a big fan of Pianoteq and have used its pianos, vibes and Wurli in recordings with great success. But for me, it's only when you have both EWQL Pianos (eg. the Steinway) and Pianoteq loaded on your system, play the same MIDI file through both, and A:B compare them that you really notice how superior QL Pianos really are. It doesn't seem to come down to just an opinion or settings as such; it seems obvious to most folks who have done that and even people who aren't musicians. I did the test in my own studio with several people at different times and QL Pianos won every single time. So definitely something to think about.
    One advantage Pianoteq has is that it doesn't use the resources that, for example, QL Pianos do. So for people looking for decent sound, low RAM useage and MUCH shorter loading times then Pianoteq would be a good choice. In any case, hope you will enjoy what ever you choose, and yes, you can obtain some good results with Pianoteq, especially if you're not a total perfectionist when it comes to the sounds or a professional classical pianist for example. Cheers...............playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Go Back to forum