• Register
  • Help

Topic: Special Edition 2 feedback?

Share/Bookmark

VSL Special Edition Plus feedback?

I noticed a sale at a store on the VSL Special edition Plus and I was wondering if anyone could speak to how much it adds to overall usefulness and expression. I do mostly musical theatre and theatre sound design- which spans everything from rock to pop to pops-style and big band arrangements.

Anyone with experience and/or examples that can point me towards a decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
    Last edited by Mark LaPierre; 10-04-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: wrong name

Re: Special Edition 2 feedback?

Hi Mark,

Let me clarify to you that there isn't a product called Special Edition 2 but instead Special Edition (Standard Library and Extended Library) and the Special Edition Plus (Standard Library and Extended Library). Which dealer is showing Special Edition with a "2" by it?

The Special Edition is a great value based product that gives you a bit of everything that VSL offers in an affordable product so you will get some Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, and Percussion. All of the samples are completely dry so they can fit well for styles other than just classical or film like Pop or Big Band. Also, in order for a Vienna Instruments product to work like the Special Edition, you'll need to have a Vienna Key or Syncrosoft dongle which stores the license on it.

The Special Edition Plus is a complimentary product (different set of articulations for the instruments) to the Special Edition meaning you really need to have the Special Edition first in order for the Special Edition Plus to be useful.

You will have access to their legato patch for the instruments and portamento patch as well that makes things quite playable as well as authentic. You also will get articulations like Staccato, Sustain, and Pizzicato as well. To find out exactly what instruments you will get in the Standard Library compared to the Extended Library as well as the articulations included, go here: http://vsl.co.at/en/211/261/314/1605/1613/409.htm

You can contact us at ILIO by email at ilioquestions@ilio.com if you have further questions. We will be happy to help you. We are VSL's exclusive distributor for North and South America.
    Austin Haynes
    Sales and Technical Support
    ILIO

How do we know he's even referring to VSL?

B and H refers to the product as "Vienna Instruments II Special Edition Plus". I was imprecise in my verbiage, sorry.

While I can see on the site what the SE Plus set contains, and there are two demos of it in use- it somehow doesn't give me a super clear idea of what difference repetition legatos make, for instance. The repetition staccattos are much clearer. But it would be nice to hear from other owners what difference it made to them. Thank you for speaking up as a representative, though. And please- if you own the set yourself- let me know your thoughts.

Anyone else?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

My 2 cents. I started, orchestrally speaking, with EWQL Silver and won Gold Pro XP in a contest. I have since purchased VSL SE plus the Extended version as well as Appasionatta standard and extended. VSL, to me. is the Rolls Royce of orchestral sample linstruments. The legato patches alone are worth the money. They are dry, as mentioned in a post above, but this lets you add your own reverb. The VSL player is fantastic and, considering all this libary has to offer, it's fairly reasonable on the CPU.

The only thing I don't like about VSL is the timpani. It just doesn't seem to have the "oomph" that Gold does. Even when adding reverb it stills sounds lifeless to me.

Of course the VSL price is pretty high, but you get what you pay for. If you purchase the extended set you get a set of saxes that may help with any big band stuff you are writing. They are not the greatest but it's nice to have them around. I think it's fair to say that if you can't get a great sound out of VSL SE and the extended add on, it ain't the software's fault.

Hope this helps,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Darren,

Thanks very much for your feedback. I guess that I haven't spoken clearly though. I already own SE and the extended edition. LOVE IT. Alot. Everything you said I agree with. I have seen a sale on the Plus edition, and am contemplating adding that to what I already own. Have you purchased that set as well?

Thanks,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark LaPierre View Post
    B and H refers to the product as "Vienna Instruments II Special Edition Plus". I was imprecise in my verbiage, sorry.

While I can see on the site what the SE Plus set contains, and there are two demos of it in use- it somehow doesn't give me a super clear idea of what difference repetition legatos make, for instance. The repetition staccattos are much clearer. But it would be nice to hear from other owners what difference it made to them. Thank you for speaking up as a representative, though. And please- if you own the set yourself- let me know your thoughts.

Anyone else?

Thanks,

Mark
    Hi again Mark,

There are two different kinds of repetitions, one kind is called a Performance Repetition which are performance related where you the composer actually play in the part and trigger the notes as many times as you want and the other which is called Fast Repetitions. A Repetition Performance has two types, one that is a legato and the other that is spiccato. For slow parts where you are trying to play a note over and over a few times in a melody, the legato repeition is perfect for this. You can hear this example at the end of the demo called "Hannibal's Elephants".

Fast Repetitions are recorded at a certain bpm (150,170, and 190). These are phrases that you put in your piece. These sound great and can be heard in "Hannibal's Elephants" throughout most of the song.

Of course the Special Edition Plus offers much more than just repetitions like Half and Whole Trails, Short Detache (these in particular are really great when a Staccato for example plays just to fast), Snap Pizzicato which is great for dramatic elements in a piece, and artificial harmonics which are respectively offered in Staccato and Sustain patches. I would say that all of these is very useful for any composer.

Now just as a reminder, the price that you see from B&H that is only for the Standard Library. There is also an Extended Library for this product as well. It's the same instrument layout as the Special Edition so you won't get articulations for Chamber Strings for example unless you get the Extended Library as well.

Here is a link to see what is in each part for the SE Plus: http://vsl.co.at/en/211/261/314/1606/1618/596.htm
    Austin Haynes
    Sales and Technical Support
    ILIO

Austin,

That explanation was very helpful, thank you.

I noticed that the Chamber string were in the Extended. UGH! I want the Chamber strings, as well as the saxophones, but nothing else, really!

Hmm. Tough decision.

Thanks,

Mark

Go Back to forum