• Register
  • Help

Topic: Happy World Teachers Day

Share/Bookmark

Happy World Teachers Day

October 5 is also World Teachers Day, an annual event that puts the spotlight on educators around the world.

We wish all our educators a Happy World Teachers' Day.

We celebrate every teacher for the sacrifices and innovative ideas they provide in order to make this world a better place.

Will our educators please take a bow.

Gary

Re: Happy World Teachers Day

Hey.........Stop the music and hold phone.

One Happy Day at a time please.

I say lets go with the World Teachers Happy Day and forget the Do Something Nice Happy Day, that way I can go punch my neighbor in the face for knocking over my garbage can and not cleaning up the mess this morning when he went to work.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Well, utterly unaware that it was World Teachers Day, I celebrated by having a long telephone argument, with a very silly parent, who had told his son he didn't have to do a detention I gave him. He ranted for about half an hour about how it was my job to teach, and his job to discipline, and that I should simply teach his son no matter how he behaves.

I gave a lot better than I took, but I didn't really feel the warm glow of appreciation that the day should have brought.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    October 5 is also World Teachers Day, an annual event that puts the spotlight on educators around the world.

We wish all our educators a Happy World Teachers' Day.

We celebrate every teacher for the sacrifices and innovative ideas they provide in order to make this world a better place.

Will our educators please take a bow.

Gary
    Well, back in the distant past, when I taught solid state theory, I did not hear of such a day. I would bow in a dignified manner now, except that it would take a derrick or chain hoist to get me upright again!

David, I could tell you a few things about nasty parents from days when I taught acolytes!!

Richard

If it weren't for administrators, students, committee work, and parents, being a college professor would be a great gig.

Only kiddin'...been at it 30 years and still love it*. Nice to see my graduates leading productive lives!

My students know me as either Professor Williams or J-Dub. They know NOTHING about Snorlax.

*Well, the committee work still kinda sux...

WORLD'S GREATEST CHEATING STORY:
    I teach a statistics class every year. Stats problems often have numerous parts with answers to the later parts depending upon answers to earlier parts.

One year I gave an exam problem that had 16 subparts. A student's paper for this problem came back totally blank, EXCEPT for the answer to part M, which was a four-digit decimal and CORRECT (.1587). The only way to have gotten this answer honestly was to have worked on parts D, E, and F (and maybe another part or two), then performed some surgery on those numbers.

Needless to say, this aroused my curiosity, so I called the student into my office. I asked: "Can you explain, please, how you got this answer?" The student replied "I guessed."

My reply was, "Now this is statistics class...what is the probability of guessing correctly a four-digit decimal?" The student, of course, could not figure that one out (the answer is one chance in 10,000).

The student thought during a minute of awkward silence, then blurted out "It's my lucky number!" I replied, "How is it that .1587 is your lucky number?" as I called the Dean's office.

ANOTHER GREAT STUDENT MEETING:
    A student was flunking the living daylights out of my Finance class...could have gotten a higher score by throwing darts at the multiple choice questions and answering the problems with random phone numbers from the Brooklyn phone book.
    I call the student into my office to discuss the matter. "Any personal problems I need to know about?" I ask. "Nope" comes the reply. "Got a heavy academic load this term?" "Ooooh, yeah...12 hours...basic this, 100-level that, underwater basketweaving, and Finance."
    I continue the discussion, asking the student about his career ambitions.
    The student replies, "Gee, professor, I realllly want to do what you do...be a financial planner and help people manage their money...I just don't like working with numbers."
    Rarely am I at a loss for words. This was one of those times.

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum