• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Fantasia With a Hinged Lid" (Bela D music box and GPO)

Share/Bookmark

"Fantasia With a Hinged Lid" (Bela D music box and GPO)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8179758

A "tinker up" piece. I was playing around with Bela D's freebie "Gothik Musik Box" and came up with a sort of Elman-sounding arpeggio...came back to it a year later to eke a primitive melody out of the chord sequence, kept writing, throwing new textures from GPO at it (sectional strings with solo 'cello, picc, flute, alto flute, Eb and Bb clarinet, oboe, e. horn., plus Bela D's free "Gothik Harp") until it got to the right length, then stopped.

I haven't the musical knowledge to harmonize that mess...I don't think that's a real chord sequence there. So lots of unison writing and exposed lines to hide my inability to develop it harmonically.

I rather like the sweetness of what came out; it's like a solitary dream, a dance interlude. I've worked enough dance shows to think it would play well as a solo or duet on stage, too. Mixed on headphones, tho -- the closest thing I have to studio monitors are on loan to another theater right now.

Cubase SE, GPO 2, the Bela D patches were loaded into Vsamp (a shareware Mac sampler). A couple of library sound effects for the framing story -- but I did my own foley.

Re: "Fantasia With a Hinged Lid" (Bela D music box and GPO)

Your inability is well hidden! It does have a dreamy, Elman-like quality. Your score is quite rich, the rendering pristine, the music quirky, strange, but not alien (did I hear someone say Harry Potter?). I think it's well done. I don't think it misses any "proper" harmony.

Hi NOMUS,
    A nice piece. I immediately thought of a new Harry Potter theme.
    This had a nice sequence of events with nice interchange.
    What was the "noise" at beginning & ending?
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse View Post
    Hi NOMUS,
    A nice piece. I immediately thought of a new Harry Potter theme.
    This had a nice sequence of events with nice interchange.
    What was the "noise" at beginning & ending?
    Gary
    Me wearing my other hat (theatrical sound design). It's a little story. Helps if you think about the aural setting as being alone in a room focused in on the music box so that it nearly fills the shot.

It does get a bit muddy, though, with rain on windows, music box motor and gears, and so forth.

I'm gonna remix again once I can get my good speakers back from the theater.

Quote Originally Posted by nomuse View Post
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8179758

A "tinker up" piece. I was playing around with Bela D's freebie "Gothik Musik Box" and came up with a sort of Elman-sounding arpeggio...came

...snip....
    This is a really nice piece, very well done and produced. I agree a very dream-like feeling all the way through. Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum