• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just back from a Rivertown dress rehearsal

Share/Bookmark

Just back from a Rivertown dress rehearsal

Well, I got there before the run-through and was able to get photos alongside the "official" photographer while he was taking cast photos. They rehearsed a few scenes with just the piano.

After their supper break, they started the show. The kids were doing a really good job - they will be fine. The pit was having some serious issues, especially the violin player - she was seriously struggling. I wish they would a synth player to reinforce her. They have two more nights before the show and she has to get better. And it will get better.

I now will not go back until the first show. We did a little test video work and I got a few more action shots. I actually feel a lot better now. The kids will be fine and if the pit breaks down, now and then, the piano player will get them through. The sets are great - the costumes are awesome and I am seeing some great energy from most of the kids.

If I could choose at the moment, I would rather they use my soundtracks, plus live drums and piano. But it is not my production to tinker with and it will be fine. I will put a some clips on the Rivertown Facebook page that was started last week. It is a fan page and anyone can join it.

Looking forward to Friday, even with some bumps along the way. By the second weekend, they should all be even better.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: Just back from a Rivertown dress rehearsal

Just got word that we have a new violinist! Yeah!
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Still no oboe - too bad since I wrote some lovely parts for the oboe player. The audience won't know, but I will. In future productions - if there are any - they will have to cover all parts. I may try to "sweeten" the audio on the DVD with some Garritan sounds. I think I can pull that off. My CD tracks really sound great - 100% Garritan sounds.

I can't believe no one has chimed in on this thread, yet. I'll do so by saying that I am so excited for you I can't believe it. To have poured so much of your energy, emotion and life into this work, and now seeing it performed must be the thrill of a lifetime - even if the performers aren't perfect.

For me, producing my own written material is nice, but I know I've really MADE IT when other people are producing my material. There's a service for churches called CCLI which licenses contemporary music to be used in church services - printed in bulletins, projected on screens, recorded as part of the service, etc. I've been a member for about 4 years, now, and I can't describe the thrill of receiving a royalty check twice a year, even when they're small, because that means that someone, somewhere is using the music.

So, please keep the updates coming. I for one love to hear them, and I can't wait to hear the "cast recording"!

I realize that this is probably too late to help, but FWIW --

I've heard oboes cues played by the following instruments in a pinch ...

- Flute
    - Clarinet
    - Soprano Sax
    - Muted Trumpet

... which one is used depends on the type of mood you want to create for the passage.

While it is probably easiest to have a synth cover the oboe part, it might not have the feel that a real wind instrument player would bring to it.

As regards having all or most of the score recorded (or sequenced), I can tell you as one who has been a professional actor for nearly 25 years, this almost never works. Aside from the obvious technical problems that inevitably arise (such as singers wanting to go slower or faster than the fixed speed of the accompaniment) you inevitably kill the spontaneity that makes live theater seem live. As a performer, I'd rather work with two live pianos, bass, and drums than a full orchestra played by a machine. Ditto for partially recorded pits. They do it sometimes (even on Broadway) but they lose something essential when they do.

Allegro Data Solutions

They had a flute play the oboe part - worked well.
    No synths.

Go Back to forum