• Register
  • Help

Topic: Since we're talking DAWs...

Talking Since we're talking DAWs...

I could use some help here.

I have tried several different DAW demos and own a few such as Sonar LE, Cubasis VST and Sony Acid Music Studio 7.0. I realize these three are not like the powerhouse DAWs of Pro Tools, Sonar 8.5 and Digital Performer, for example. What I'm trying to find is one which has an easy-to-use graphic interface when it comes to editing MIDI events.

I used to use Record Producer by Voyetra. Unfortunately they got out of the business of producing DAWs and what they did have would not support VST plugins. What I really liked about Record Producer was the graphic interface. It was so easy to work with.

I posted some examples of the interface RP used. You had three options for editing events in the events window: free hand, straight line, or a three point curve (my favorite). The following example is the curve. You'd start by drawing a straight line:

You then bow the line in either direction (in this case up):

You then release the mouse button and the editing would be done for those measures:

The above editing was for modulation. The same editing could be done for pitch bend, sustain pedal, etc. It was a very easy way of editing events.

Many of you guys and gals are real pros with DAWs. I use Finale 2009 for just about everything, but when I really would like to put together a nice recording I go crazy working with the DAWs I own or the demos I've tried. I can't seem to find a DAW that has as user friendly an interface when it comes to working on MIDI events like Record Producer. I know there's one out there, but I could sure use some help finding the right one.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician (Gary A.)

Lenovo, Windows 10 64 bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio, Finale 25, Sonar

Re: Since we're talking DAWs...

I don't know if you use a Mac or not, but you would fall in love with Digital Performer and it's elegant way(s) of editing/creating midi data.

It is incredible!

Thanks Dan. I don't have a Mac yet but I'm getting one FREE from a friend soon. I used Digital Performer years ago in my Hal Leonard days and just loved it! I will definitely keep it in mind!

Lenovo, Windows 10 64 bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio, Finale 25, Sonar

If you are going with Windows, Cubase has a great MIDI editor. I'll caveat my comment by saying that such features are highly subjective and really depend on how your mind works. For me, Cubase was it on Windows. For the record, I'll second Dan's recommendation for DP on Mac.

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

If you are going mac then try logic pro too. It has a great tool that makes putting natural curves or S bends in any line very easy, and easy to manipulate after. (And cos it does it between points, you can just drag a point to make it longer, shorter, higher, lower...)

I do have fond memories of CC editing in Cubase 3, so would try that too.

Hi Gary. I remember to use a version of Voyetra Orchestrator included with a very old soundcard, and it was very nice.
    If you like to experiment a little, there is a very nice free plugin, that you can use in different hosts, that has one of the more versatile Piano-roll and midi editing capabilities. It´s called temper. It not only has traditional tools, it also has pre-disegned curves and patterns for quick drawing.
    Here is an screenshot:

You can download it here:
    Marcelo Colina

I find Sonar 8's controller editor a nightmare to use.

Hi, LOW,

I'm a Sonar user, and I'm unfamiliar with the "controller editor."

Is that something new in 8 or 8.5?

In Sonar its called the Controller Pane. It's at the bottom of the Piano Roll window. The 'improvements' in v8 have made it very difficult to use when editing several tracks simultaneously (something I always do). I now refer to it as the Controller Pain though I doubt I am the first to coin that phrase. I also find even the original one's 'drawing' capabilities limited compared to say old Cubase VST.

Thanks everyone for your input. I look forward to what others have to say as well. I would like to hear from anyone using Samplitude, Adobe Audition or Pro Tools.

Ben and Kevin: I just started working with Cubase LE (came with a sound card a bought a while back) and it seems to be easier to work with than the VST version which came with my original copy of GPO. Ben, when I do get this Mac I will be sure to check out Logic Pro. I've heard a lot about it so I'd be curious to kick it around (saying there is a demo version of it available). I would still love to own DP, Kevin. I loved using it years ago. So intuitive and easy to figure out.

LOW: I'm not sure about Sonar 8.5 as there's no demo to try. The LE version I have has very little graphic editing capabilities. I can edit in the events window, but I really don't care to. I do editing there only when I need to tweek something, but editing outside a graphic interface is way too time consuming.

Marce: I will definitely take a look at Temper. It sure looks promising. It looks a lot like what I was used to using in Record Producer. I'll try it and get back to you.

Thanks everyone!!!

Gary A.

Go Back to forum