• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: Studiologic SL-990Pro vs SL-990xp

Share/Bookmark

OT: Studiologic SL-990Pro vs SL-990xp

Hey guys --

My master keyboard is about to die on me, and I want to get an 88-key Studiologic. It'll be one of the 990 models, but after searching every forum and thread and info page and review of the Pro and the XP models, I STILL haven't been able to determine what the difference is between the 2 keyboards.

Can anyone bullet-point the differences, based on your own experiences?

Kerry

Re: OT: Studiologic SL-990Pro vs SL-990xp

Xp vas full weighting- the PRO has semi weighted keys.

Quote Originally Posted by davecos View Post
    Xp vas full weighting- the PRO has semi weighted keys.
    Dave, you've just answered the million-dollar question that no one anywhere has ever answered! It seems strange that the fully-weighted keyboard would be the cheaper one, but hey.... I ain't complainin'!

- kerry

I would never have guessed either but I bought an XP from Musician's Friend a while back because it was cheaper. A friend of mine ended up getting the PRO and when I played it, I did not like the semi-weighted keys. It felt slightly better than the old Roland A-30 which had some cheesy 3/4 weighting.

According to the Studiologic site, they both use the TP40GH keybed. Does the Pro incorporate something else to make it semi-weighted?

Mahlon

well unless he had a bogus version I would still insist that the XP (which I owned for a year or so until I traded it in for a KX8) had fully weighted keys while the PRO has semi weighted- it definitely felt different. Lighter for sure.

One thing- the pitch wheel on the SL990XP would occasionally send out messages even when it had not been touched. This would drive my DAWs nuts. I'm not the only one to have found this problem. Also, it's very archaic. No USB, no realtime controllers and the weighting is noisy- my wife could hear me banging away at night clear across the hall with my studio door shut. The KX8 is much quieter.

The Studiologic site seems really old and outdated, and I think they even have some misinformation in their own comparison specs between the XP and the Pro. At one point I found pics of the back of one of the units, which actually had more inputs/outputs than what SL's website confirmed. The XP is only $379, and I want something that feels like a piano, so I bit the bullet and ordered it. Will post comments once it arrives!

you ought to like it. It's well built (metal case) but not a lot of add ons. Mind you, spring for a NanoKontrol ($69) and you have a transport, faders, and pots so you're not that bad off.

Let me know if you encounter that pitch wheel sending out phantom signals to your DAW eh?

I have an SL-880 PRO keyboard and although I like the keyboard touch itself, the few buttons that are one it are of the most crappy kind I ever encountered. If these are not changed in later versions I would never buy a studiologic keyboard again...

Yes the buttons are cheap on the 990xp

Go Back to forum