• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Capture the sound of old samplers with IRs?

Share/Bookmark

Capture the sound of old samplers with IRs?

I just loved the sound of my EPS 16+, may it RIP. I just read Dietz also used to have one, so I guess Im in good company!

Would it be possible to capture some of the sound characteristics of those ol gems, making IRs from the main outs somehow?

And does anyone still own an EPS 16+ and is willing to make those IRs?

*please*

/nostalgic Johnny

Re: Capture the sound of old samplers with IRs?

Quote Originally Posted by drjohnny79 View Post
    I just loved the sound of my EPS 16+, may it RIP. I just read Dietz also used to have one, so I guess Im in good company!

Would it be possible to capture some of the sound characteristics of those ol gems, making IRs from the main outs somehow?

And does anyone still own an EPS 16+ and is willing to make those IRs?

*please*

/nostalgic Johnny
    First I was interested in your topic, and then I saw you even mentioned my name, so I feel obliged to reply ;-)

I don't think that a simple IR would capture the uniquness of Ensoniq's sampling engine. It's not only about the sound of the D/A-converters, it's much more about their filters, the internal resampling for playing a sample at different pitches than the original one, and other less obvious aspects.

On the top of it, the EPS/16+/ASR-family of instruments had unparalleled possibilities of real-time modulations (you could even modulate many aspects of the built-in FX-processors!), which added much more to the samples than in any competing product (back then).

Kind regards,

I guess youre right, Dietz. *sigh* Glad I caught your attention, though.

Ive also been wondering if the fx-unit in EPS16+ equals any of the stand alone fx equipment that Ensoniq used to sell? If the same chips/algos/whatever are used in other h/w? Then again, maybe the IMO awsome sound of the EPS16+ fx depends on other aspects aswell.

/Johnny

FWIW... I own an EPS Classic and a rack mount ASR-10. I have CDR-1, CDR-2, and the Chicago CD that Ensoniq published, as well as a metric ton of floppies, only some of which were duplicated by the CDs (dang!).

I've imported the Ensoniq samples into soundfonts, GigaStudio2 and 3, and very recently Kontakt 2.

None of these conversions was horrible, but none of them captured the sound (and especially the flexibility) of the original.

The soundfont format, or maybe the players, lacks some features that I felt were mandatory. It's been so long I don't even remember what, but it was a deal breaker.

GS2, and later GS3 do a really remarkable job of playing back the Ensoniq libraries. I used Translator from Chicken Systems, an while it doesn't do all the heavy lifting, it gets pretty darned close. Most of the early standard libraries required little or no tweaking. In fact after a while I used them exactly as they were translated and I was happy with the result. (There is a huge difference between auditioning samples and using them in a mix<G>!)

The artist libraries, and some of the later standard libraries were more complex, used more features, or something, and they required more work to get the translation working well. But the end result was pretty darned good.

Kontakt 2 does some interesting things with the Ensoniq libraries. It's too early to tell if this is going to work out well or not. I'm hoping (of course) that it turns out to be a good replacement for GS... I'll report more as I learn more.
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae View Post
    [...] The artist libraries, and some of the later standard libraries were more complex, used more features, or something, [...]
    -> http://www.chickensys.com/products/s...+Sound+Library

;-)

... this was in 1991, as far as I remember.

It was a long time ago... I try not to think about that<G>!

Dang... I didn't click on the link right away... that was you? I don't own that one... maybe I need to rectify the situation!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae View Post
    It was a long time ago... I try not to think about that<G>!

Dang... I didn't click on the link right away... that was you? I don't own that one... maybe I need to rectify the situation!
    Yes! Intially created for Ensoniq-dealers in Austria & Germany, the ASL was the first work of mine which had international distribution (thanks, Garth!) and a raving review (thanks, Transoniq Hacker!). The first of the listed sounds, "Steirische", is a diatonic Accordion, which hasn't been sampled very often at all, BTW. "Acc Bass" is the left hand accompainiment of this unique instrument.

... the programming was really close to the maximum one could get from an EPS 16+ back than. I even went so far to change same actually fixed parameters of the FX-programs on behalf of a DOS 3.1-based ASCII-editor, back then. - I wonder how I found the time to do all this.

I think there are certainly some instruments from the EPS 16+ at the new "Titan" synth library from Best Service.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by drjohnny79 View Post
    I guess youre right, Dietz. *sigh* Glad I caught your attention, though.

Ive also been wondering if the fx-unit in EPS16+ equals any of the stand alone fx equipment that Ensoniq used to sell? If the same chips/algos/whatever are used in other h/w? Then again, maybe the IMO awsome sound of the EPS16+ fx depends on other aspects aswell.

/Johnny
    Yes, DP-2/DP-4 and DP-4+ should be the same quality as the EPS16+/ASR10 fx section.

Peter (another EPS16+ RIP here).

PS : I also tried converting my EPS16+ sounds to Kontakt, some of them are OK, but most of them just don't sound the same. Very sadly, because I still have some very good CDRoms from BEA (Belgian Ensoniq Association)!

Quote Originally Posted by Pschelfh View Post
    Yes, DP-2/DP-4 and DP-4+ should be the same quality as the EPS16+/ASR10 fx section.

Peter (another EPS16+ RIP here).
    Thanx, thats exactly what I wanted to know!

/Johnny

Go Back to forum