• Register
  • Help

Topic: Why doesn't sustain pedal work with certain instruments?

Share/Bookmark

Why doesn't sustain pedal work with certain instruments?

Hello everyone

I'm new to GPO 4 and wondering why my sustain pedal doesn't work with, says, the full strings patch. I see the lit icon of my sustain pedal and it works fine with something like the piano, but on the strings it doesn't take effect.

I checked the manual, but couldn't find anything, so now I'm here.

Is this a GPO "realism" thing that they won't allow me to use my sustain pedal? I rely on the sustain pedal heavily to craft performances and would love to be able to use it - can someone please take a second to address this?

- Jeffrey

Re: Why doesn't sustain pedal work with certain instruments?

Ok, did a search and found this thread

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=68261

I was using the STANDARD instruments, not the NOTATION instruments. The NOTATION instruments work fine for me with the sustain pedal.

Wish the manual was more clear! Also, shouldn't NOTATION be more realistic for writing scores and not STANDARD? Seems backwards..

But AWESOME sounds and amazing price! Thank you GARY! You are the best

Whoops...looks like I ran into a separate problem (although I don't wish to start a new thread).

AMBIENCE does not respond in the ARIA player....I can start an instance of AMBIENCE from within Logic as an effect, but all I get is one setting and no presets.

Why does ARIA not respond and AMBIENCE not kick in when I click or unclick it in the EFFECTS column? This doesn't seem to be tied to STANDARD or NOTATION instruments or even within instruments, but is universal right now..

Did AMBIENCE not install correctly or is this a bug when using Logic Pro 6?

- Jeffrey

OK, I'm dumb - I needed to adjust the SEND knobs for the instrument.

Hopefully this thread will help other dufuses like me who just want to get to playing without paying enough attention to common sense.

Cheers!

Sustain doesn't work on all instruments, because for them it controls the legato. Read the manual. It explains the controllers for all instruments (CC64 is the sustain pedal, by the way). This is part:

Control: 64
    Description: Sustain/Legato, Damping (percus- sion)
    Use: Controls legato switch- ing, damping, and standard sustain.
    Instruments Affected: Controls legato mode on all sustained string, brass, and woodwind instruments. Will also control damping on those percussion instru- ments that use this function and has standard sustain pedal behavior on instruments like the piano, celesta, some vibraphone choices, harp- sichord, and glass armonica. Note: Legato mode can also be accomplished by using the Auto-legato feature.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Ok, did a search and found this thread

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=68261

I was using the STANDARD instruments, not the NOTATION instruments. The NOTATION instruments work fine for me with the sustain pedal.

Wish the manual was more clear! Also, shouldn't NOTATION be more realistic for writing scores and not STANDARD? Seems backwards..

But AWESOME sounds and amazing price! Thank you GARY! You are the best
    You don't mention if you are using GPO with a sequencer such as Sonar or Cubase or if you are using it with a notation program such as Finale 2010 or sibelius.

The 'Notation' set of instruments is programmed to be used with a notation program such as Finale. The 'Standard' set of instruments is programmed to be used in a sequencer such as Sonar or if being used as a Stand-Alone.

If you try to use the 'Notation' set in a sequencer then this will not respond correctly and vice versa.

The exception to this, it seems, is if you are using a VST mapper in a sequencer which, in effect, is just as if you are using a notation editor.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum