• Register
  • Help

Topic: Panis Angelicus

Share/Bookmark

Panis Angelicus

Panis angelicus is the penultimate strophe of the hymn Sacris solemniis written by Saint Thomas Aquinas for the Feast of Corpus Christi as part of a complete liturgy of the Feast including prayers for the Mass and the Liturgy of the Hours.

The strophe of Sacris solemniis that begins with the words "Panis angelicus" (bread of angels) has often been set to music separately from the rest of the hymn. Most famously, in 1872 César Franck set this strophe for tenor, organ, harp, cello, and double bass; later arranging it for tenor, chorus, and orchestra, he incorporated it into his Messe solennelle Opus 12.

Here is my performance of this famous piece by César Franck.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...songID=8198230

Enjoy!

Ps. The sounds are from GPO4 except the organ.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: Panis Angelicus

very very nice! sounds like I'm in a cathedral, and the organ is further away (like it would be), and I'm right in front of the flute player!

Thank you Mike.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Nicely done, Stefan!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thank you David.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Franc is not high on the list in the minds of some modern day composers.
    My favorite Symphony is his D minor-his only symphony.
    This song used to be a favorite of Small school bands in Texas during the '60's. Playing full sounding, legato, slow pieces is a challenge for young musicians.
    An excellent job on this.

Gary

Gday Stefan,

This is nice music, though the flute’s timbre is not quite right dynamically, in respect to the air blown over the flute. Also too much dynamics does not enhance musical expression but becomes tiring. I get the impression that the volume was simply turned up and down instead of changing dynamics by loudness change, associated with timbre change.

On balance, it is quite pleasant to listen to.

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Go Back to forum