• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 8va transposition with GPO4?

Share/Bookmark

8va transposition with GPO4?

Is there a way to adjust the octave on patches like piccolo or contrabass? I like my scores to play "as written" without adjusting transposition settings in Finale.

So basically, I want the bass patch to play an octave lower, and the piccolo to play an octave higher. I am hosting the ARIA Player in Plogue Bidule, if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Re: 8va transposition with GPO4?

Gday Jeremy,

Would this not make reading the score a bit confusing, particularly for a player of a transposed instrument?

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

It's only for octave transposing instruments. I work on my scores in concert pitch, and I don't want my bass and piccolo parts jumping octaves every time I switch between concert and transposed score. It wouldn't apply to the players.

Quote Originally Posted by jlevymusic View Post
    Is there a way to adjust the octave on patches like piccolo or contrabass? I like my scores to play "as written" without adjusting transposition settings in Finale.

So basically, I want the bass patch to play an octave lower, and the piccolo to play an octave higher. I am hosting the ARIA Player in Plogue Bidule, if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Hello Jeremy and a very warm welcome to our forums.

I also use Finale and have the 2010 version.

Have you tried using the 'Setup Wizard' to prepare your blank scores. With this, your sore is fully prepared and all instruments loaded ready to play and will sound as written without you having to do any more.

By default, your score would be set with transposed instruments shown in their own key. If you wanted to see your full score with everything shown at concert pitch just go to 'Document' then select the box 'Display in Concert Pitch'. Although your score will then show all instruments in concert pitch, the actual part, when extracted for viewing or for printing, will show in it's correct key.

Hope this helps.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Michael,

To clarify, I am a long time Finale professional user and know the program inside and out, so yes I am aware of setting transposition in Finale using staff attributes.

My scores are setup for all transposing instruments to behave as expected. I just want to avoid making the piccolo and bass staves transposing. It is very annoying to accidentally enter pitches in the wrong view and then have to shift octaves.

Think of it this way, in a traditional Concert score, all octave transposing instruments (piccolo, bass, guitars, etc) will be written as the performer would see it, not at actual pitch. This is what I want. No messy leger lines.

So I need to adjust this at the patch level, not in Finale.

The short answer is yes, it's possible to edit the patch to adjust what note each samples plays. But, would it be easier to just set up you contrabass line with the Bass-clef with the little 8ve symbol beneath it? Wouldn't that automatically transpose down an octave, or would that later screw up the "transposed" score printout?

I thought I could that with tuning inside the ARIA player, but it doesn't.
    Can't you apply some sort of a "de-tuning element" in Finale, telling to playback at +12?

Raymond

I do the same thing as Jeremy. Using 8vb clefs solves the problem but then it is incorrect, those are not the correct clefs, close, but not close enough! Adding expressions are also not ideal, we paste a lot of stuff around and it is very easy to screw stuff up, plus it is an extra step to do it, same with using the 8vb smart shape.

So these are valid suggestions but what we need is the same function as we had before, there is no way to do anything with finale to solve this.

With the Kontakt GPO we could set the transposition in Kontakt. That meant our scores looked correct- concert scores with octave transposing instruments at written pitch, which is standard in LA.

We use GPO as a last check for wrong notes before it goes to copy. We would like to upgrade to Aria and use the new sounds but need this transposition function in the player, just like it was in Kontakt.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

Obmit

Maybe a simpler feature request (from Garritan's point of view) would be to offer a set of octave-transposed presets for piccolo and basses (and celesta, glockenspiel and xyolophone)?
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

I've been chatting with David over at Plogue about this, and we almost figured out an easy fix. After opening the .sfz file in Textedit, you can type "transpose=-12" to drop the patch an octave. Unfortunately, this transposes the samples down, not the actual mapping of the patch. This resulted in some pretty comical Piccolo vibrato (now at double speed!).

So it seems like a feature request to Garritan, or using Kontact to load up those two patches might be the only answer.

Jeremy

Go Back to forum