• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Accordion listening exercise

Share/Bookmark

Accordion listening exercise

Hi,

Having done pipe organs, and received interesting responses (including one from a developer of sample CD-ROMs featuring pipe organs), I thought I\'d try accordions this time, especially as the \"MP3 Demos of Archtop Guitars, Tenor Banjos, and Accordions\" thread was popular.

This listening exercise is definately easier than the pipe organ one, and I hope Michiel Post from Post Audio Media and Kip from Bardstown Audio to have a go! (since both have developed sample CD-ROMs featuring accordions).

There are five excerpts (128 kbps encoded mp3s) featuring live performances (i.e. no sequencing) including accordion sounds:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~veridical.sounds/acc1.mp3 http://www.btinternet.com/~veridical.sounds/acc2.mp3 http://www.btinternet.com/~veridical.sounds/acc3.mp3 http://www.btinternet.com/~veridical.sounds/acc4.mp3 http://www.btinternet.com/~veridical.sounds/acc5.mp3

Which excerpts contain real and which contain sampled accordions?
    Please give reasons for your choices and try not to be fooled by the artificial reverb included in some of the excerpts.

Best regards
    Nicholas
    p.s. These \'listening exercises\' are meant to be fun and interesting, so please have a go.
    So far, I\'ve had few responses to the one titled \"Listening exercise containing electronic organ\" (which is actually more about brass sounds than organs), and I have received no responses to the one titled \"Fun listening exercise\".
    It really doesn\'t matter if you get the answers wrong. Please just try and get some discussion going.

Re: Accordion listening exercise

Well....here is my guess. 3 and 5 sound like they came from a keyboard. They sounded organ like. 2 was good, but I am sure about that one....

The rest sound liked like real players. I only hope the person playing the music did not have that silly like one always sees on Lawrence Welk...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by esperlad:
    Well....here is my guess. 3 and 5 sound like they came from a keyboard. They sounded organ like. 2 was good, but I am sure about that one....

The rest sound liked like real players. I only hope the person playing the music did not have that silly like one always sees on Lawrence Welk...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi esperlad,

Thanks very much for being the first to respond. I\'m not going to reveal the answers just yet; I\'ll wait for some more replies first.

Lawrence Welk does not feature in any of those excerpts but I believe all the accordion players on those recordings are regarded as top-class professional musicians in their field.

Best regards
    Nicholas

I\'m guessing that all are real, except 5, sounds like a 2080 expansion card to me. Plus all the other ones sound as if I can hear keys being clicked and the nuances of number 4 really sound authentic. That\'s my 2 cents.

Hi Nicholas,

If I get a chance, I will gladly check out these demos. My situation is that I have two Mac\'s and two PC\'s in the studio with one of the PC\'s as a dedicated internet PC, which has no audio capabilities considering I do not have any sound card installed on that particular PC. In order for me to check out demos, MP3\'s, etc., I have to download them on my internet PC, burn them to a CD, and then load them onto one of my other computers which do have full audio capabilities.

At the moment I have several things I am trying to finish up, but hopefully in the next day or so I can try to check them out.

I will be putting up a couple of more demos on my MP3 page of a another accordion, which is not featured on my MP3 page, but is one of the instruments on the \"Classic Accordions\" CD. I will also be putting up a different electric archtop jazz guitar demo, which is not yet featured on the MP3 page as well. I will make an announcement as soon as I upload them to my site.

Thanks,

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Precison:
    I\'m guessing that all are real, except 5, sounds like a 2080 expansion card to me. Plus all the other ones sound as if I can hear keys being clicked and the nuances of number 4 really sound authentic. That\'s my 2 cents.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Precision,

Thank you very much for responding. I agree that occasionally hearing the keys being clicked makes the overall sound seem more \'real\', especially when the instrument sounds fairly close up. I have encountered sample sets that include separate samples of key clicks for the instrument being sampled. I think it is often that these \'little\' details really do help \'realism\'. I notice an increasing (& welcome IMHO) trend for sampled instruments to include release samples that are triggered to sound when the (midi) keys are released. An obvious use for this is for harpsichords, but in fact many instruments can benefit from carefully crafted and implemented release samples.

Best regards
    Nicholas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bardstown Audio:
    Hi Nicholas,

If I get a chance, I will gladly check out these demos. My situation is that I have two Mac\'s and two PC\'s in the studio with one of the PC\'s as a dedicated internet PC, which has no audio capabilities considering I do not have any sound card installed on that particular PC. In order for me to check out demos, MP3\'s, etc., I have to download them on my internet PC, burn them to a CD, and then load them onto one of my other computers which do have full audio capabilities.

At the moment I have several things I am trying to finish up, but hopefully in the next day or so I can try to check them out.

I will be putting up a couple of more demos on my MP3 page of a another accordion, which is not featured on my MP3 page, but is one of the instruments on the \"Classic Accordions\" CD. I will also be putting up a different electric archtop jazz guitar demo, which is not yet featured on the MP3 page as well. I will make an announcement as soon as I upload them to my site.

Thanks,

Kip

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Kip,

I do hope you have the time to listen to the mp3 excerpts. Maybe now is the time to invest in an inexpensive soundcard for your internet pc. (In fact, after the old Intel 486 pcs of six or so years ago, I\'ve found it hard to find a fairly modern pc that doesn\'t already come with a soundcard or on-board audio of some sort).

Best regards
    Nicholas
    p.s. Are you still intending to send me an mp3 of your new sampled concert grand piano for my Veridical Sounds sampled piano comparison web page?

You gotta love the homey sound of an accordion. Reminds me of my youth in southern Wisconsin (the \"Dairy State\" to those not familiar). There was a polka band with accordion on every street corner (well in every bar anyway).

Anyway, I would say 3 and 5 are sampled. 3 because there is not as much variation in timber. 5 simple because I assume there is more than one sampled example here and it would be the easiest to \"fake.\" They all sound great though.

Craig Duke

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by csduke:
    You gotta love the homey sound of an accordion. Reminds me of my youth in southern Wisconsin (the \"Dairy State\" to those not familiar). There was a polka band with accordion on every street corner (well in every bar anyway).

Anyway, I would say 3 and 5 are sampled. 3 because there is not as much variation in timber. 5 simple because I assume there is more than one sampled example here and it would be the easiest to \"fake.\" They all sound great though.

Craig Duke
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Craig.

We don\'t get many accordions round here in London these days. I wonder why?

I agree that there\'s great playing in those mp3 excerpts, including the one(s) using sampled instrumemnts.

Best regards
    Nicholas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bardstown Audio:
    Hi Nicholas,
    My situation is that I have two Mac\'s and two PC\'s in the studio with one of the PC\'s as a dedicated internet PC, which has no audio capabilities considering I do not have any sound card installed on that particular PC. In order for me to check out demos, MP3\'s, etc., I have to download them on my internet PC, burn them to a CD, and then load them onto one of my other computers which do have full audio capabilities.

Kip

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Kip
    I had the same problem 2 years ago. I have 2 Mac\'s and 3 PC\'s in the studio and only 3 machines with high quality audio cards. The internet computer has low budget multimedia speakers (so you can hear the windows bleep when making errors). I invested $ 50 in 3 network cards and several cables and now I have all 5 computers working as a network. I can download files, MP3\'s and updates on the dumb PC and them use these files on the computer that needs them.
    Could be a good alternative for your situation.

Kind regards,

Michiel Post

Go Back to forum