• Register
  • Help

Topic: patch editing for 8va transposition

Share/Bookmark

patch editing for 8va transposition

I wrote a post in one of the other forums, but I've been looking around and seeing posts about editing ranges on .sfz files in this forum, so maybe someone will know how to do this.

I want to edit the contrabass patch of GPO4 so that it sounds and octave below written pitch. This will allow me to not have to setup a transposing stave in Finale. So, I will need to shift the patch to start on C2 instead of C1.

Is this possible within the text editor?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Re: patch editing for 8va transposition

EDIT: See my post below...

I misunderstood the question, but not I get it and have an answer further down.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    I don't quite understand the problem - when you're setting up a score in Finale and add "Double Bass" or "Contrabass," the stave is automatically set up to transpose - you shouldn't have to do anything. When a written C2 shows up, Finale tells GPO to play a C1. Is Finale not doing this for you?

Tyler
    As Jeremy said, this was covered in another forum and what is wanted here is to be able to edit the actual patch in the Aria Player. Whilst this was possible in the previous GPO with KP2, the Aria Player doesn't offer this feature.

The full thread can be seen here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=69058

As an experienced Finale user over many years I have to say that I agree with you and I don't find any problems with this either. However, we all have different ways and annoyances. At present, the patch transposing feature isn't available in Aria although I understand that it is possible to use an sfz editor but this is outside my experience.

Perhaps a future Aria update might offer further features possibly including a transposition facility although only Gary and his team would know this and there may be other priorities. I imagine that such an update may well be some time away as Gary and his team are incredibly busy working on porting JABB and COMB over to Aria, not to mention the other projects in the pipeline.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

EDIT: (aaaand keep going... haha)

If I understand the other thread correctly, it is because Jeremy wants to be able to swap between "transposing" and "concert" without the bass staff changing ocatve. (in other words, use a non-transposing staff for the bass).
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Quote Originally Posted by vic_france View Post
    If I understand the other thread correctly, it is because Jeremy wants to be able to swap between "transposing" and "concert" without the bass staff changing ocatve. (in other words, use a non-transposing staff for the bass).
    Ah, I see (I think)! Thanks!

Jeremy, so you want your score to read in concert pitch, but the bass and piccolo have too many ledger lines, so you still want them to transpose by an octave?

If Aria can't do this, there's a pretty easy work around. For the double bass, change the clef (temporarily) to the 8vb bass clef (the one with the little 8 under it), and for the piccolo change the clef (again, temporarily) to the 8va treble clef (the one with the little 8 above it). I assume you have "concert pitch" selected in Finale's menu, so the notes should now appear on the staff. When you're all done and ready to print, you can change the clefs back and unselect "concert pitch" from the menu.

Otherwise you will have to edit the .sfz file itself.

My apologies for not checking the other thread sooner...

Tyler

Gday,

Tyler said:

“Jeremy, so you want your score to read in concert pitch, but the bass and piccolo have too many ledger lines, so you still want them to transpose by an octave?”

Jeremy - Do you mean that in Finale, you can only set the whole score to either concert pitch or instrument pitches? If that is so, it would drive me crazy.

I mostly work with notation. I always have the whole score in concert pitch, except for the Double Bass staff, which is set to its instrument pitch transposition. If needed only, I set other staves to appropriate instrument transpositions.

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Go Back to forum