• Register
  • Help

Topic: One of the best mock ups ever - John Wiliiams, Superman "Trip to Earth"

Share/Bookmark

One of the best mock ups ever - John Wiliiams, Superman "Trip to Earth"

I saw this posted on another board, re posting it here. A member named JMDNYC posted this. It's quite fantastic in my opinion. Yay for john williams!

I wanted to give my new Hollywoodwinds a test run, so I thought to myself: "what John Williams piece best features the woodwinds?" "The Trip to Earth" from Superman immediately came to mind.

Specifically, I was interested in how HWW blended with VSL woodwinds. I also wanted to get better acquainted with LASS and also learn how to work with Vienna Ensemble Pro as I start to integrate it into my normal workflow. Here is the result:

WAV:
    http://www.johnmdavis.com/forum/Trip_to_Earth3.wav

or an MP3 of the same (for slower connections):
    http://www.johnmdavis.com/forum/Trip_to_Earth3.mp3

It was also just a lot of fun to study a John Williams piece in this much detail. Figuring out how he uses augmented and seventh chords is really interesting (his jazz background), as is the amount of detail he puts into the harp, celeste, glock and vibes, most of which you barely hear. He's certainly not afraid to write difficult parts. And the melody is really good (turns Strauss -- and by extension the Supeman Love Theme -- upside down).

Re: One of the best mock ups ever - John Wiliiams, Superman "Trip to Earth"

Thanks for posting this.

JMDNYC did a great job with LASS in this.... as well as all th other libraries too!!.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Quote Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
    Thanks for posting this.

JMDNYC did a great job with LASS in this.... as well as all th other libraries too!!.

Cheers,

Andrew K
    The strings is the what got my attention in this rendition. Now i want LASS more than ever. It's definitely one of the top library. LASS and app. strings are the top strings library IMO.

Andrew, this is not a criticism but an observation, with a question. I find the legato to be very good yet the transition is quit audible and i was wondering if using a fake legato patch(with big Bob leg tool for example) on a desk or tow could make the transition smoother instead of using the legato path on all desk like we hear. I think you have programmed fake leg right. I was curious to have your take on that? I know i would have tried that so i was wondering what you think about that. I don't think it lesser the value of LASS in any way BTW. I like what i hear a lot. It's the attitude i like.

Also, about your speed portamento control, did you achieve that with time machine or something? You don't have to answer if it's big secret or something.

LASS was the missing link in strings library IMO. With your divisi approach, now we can play chords and hear it spread across the stereo field. It's very impressive, and realistic. A must have for me.

Very nice! this definetely puts HWW on my "to buy" list - love those runs.
    unfortunatly I can't afford them for a while, even though they are quite reasonably priced.

Hi Geronimo,

Actually you bring up one of the secrets to using LASS. Aside from staggering the divisis to create the blurred performance of real strings, it's also a good idea to sometimes not have one of the legato patches be in legato mode. This is why I all legato patches are CC Legato enable/bypass capable.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Quote Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
    Hi Geronimo,

Actually you bring up one of the secrets to using LASS. Aside from staggering the divisis to create the blurred performance of real strings, it's also a good idea to sometimes not have one of the legato patches be in legato mode. This is why I all legato patches are CC Legato enable/bypass capable.

Cheers,

Andrew K
    Good idea!

Thanks.

Go Back to forum