• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Topic: Talk to me about drums...

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Talk to me about drums...

    I have RMX, EZDrummer w/ Nashville, and newly purchased Battery 3 (Komplete 5).

    How do EZD or Battery acoustic sets fare with Steven Slate drums, or Ocean Way? I had been considering whether to get a couple EZD expansion packs while on sale / possibly upgrade to Superior, or just go for Steven Slate Drums and not further my investment into EZD. How would you compare these? I'm looking for meaty drums that are mix-ready, and by meaty I don't mean metal, but just substantial-sounding rock / country.

    Now, about SSD: the EX version has the 10 kits - I don't see listed anywhere which ones they are. SSD LE seems to have 20, but has been replaced with the EX version. Is it not as good, or using an older Kontakt player?? Same quality or is the newer better?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia PA USA
    Posts
    347

    Re: Talk to me about drums...

    Hi..I don't know about the EZD,S.SLate or Oceanway stuff..I use Battery and Addictive drums..Here's a link for AD..There is a demo version you can download..It is called such due to the limited kit pieces..Otherwise you can edit and save your kits..No time out or weird noises,just a smaller kit version..Worth the download...I have RMX but find it basically useless for my needs..I use Battery for most things..Or Knotakt3...I prefer to have control over my sounds as well as programing midi data..AD is cool,but I use B3 because of it allowing sample manipulation...I'd be interested in your findings..JON

    Oops,the link.. http://www.xlnaudio.com/
    Logic Pro8
    MacBook Pro intel
    Live8
    Reason4
    PTs 7.4

  3. #3

    Re: Talk to me about drums...

    You already have EZdrummer with the Nashville kit, which I think is pretty good. The Superior 2 is, for me, great, although I love the Vintage EZX as well. Demos are on their website.
    I think toontrack are releasing it (vintage) as an add on to the Superior 2 range soon, and my credit card will be waiting!
    As it will for trillion....
    Trilian, GPO 4, JABB, EZDrummer, Superior Drums, Logic 9, and too many guitars.

  4. #4

    Re: Talk to me about drums...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwackman View Post
    You already have EZdrummer with the Nashville kit, which I think is pretty good. The Superior 2 is, for me, great, although I love the Vintage EZX as well. Demos are on their website.
    I think toontrack are releasing it (vintage) as an add on to the Superior 2 range soon, and my credit card will be waiting!
    As it will for trillion....
    trillion will not be released soon. That is a promise.
    Trilian on the other hand is due October 26th.
    Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, E-MU 1616m audio interface, Cubase Studio 4.1.2, Windows XP Pro sp.3, Omnisphere, Atmosphere, Addictive Drums, Amplitube 2 + Jimi Hendrix, Monstrous

  5. #5

    Re: Talk to me about drums...

    oosp.
    I mean oops.
    Trilian, GPO 4, JABB, EZDrummer, Superior Drums, Logic 9, and too many guitars.

  6. #6

    Re: Talk to me about drums...

    Quote Originally Posted by macmuse View Post
    I have RMX, EZDrummer w/ Nashville, and newly purchased Battery 3 (Komplete 5).

    How do EZD or Battery acoustic sets fare with Steven Slate drums, or Ocean Way? I had been considering whether to get a couple EZD expansion packs while on sale / possibly upgrade to Superior, or just go for Steven Slate Drums and not further my investment into EZD. How would you compare these? I'm looking for meaty drums that are mix-ready, and by meaty I don't mean metal, but just substantial-sounding rock / country.

    Now, about SSD: the EX version has the 10 kits - I don't see listed anywhere which ones they are. SSD LE seems to have 20, but has been replaced with the EX version. Is it not as good, or using an older Kontakt player?? Same quality or is the newer better?

    Thanks.
    Macmuse,

    I have almost all of the expansion packs for EZ Drummer but find I use the pop kit from Kontakt 3 the most. The Steven Slate drums have me drooling as the demos sound great and it works in Kontakt. EZ drummer takes forever to load up a kit and at around 300 megs they are pretty hefty for my machine.

    However the Twisted Kit for EZ expansion is brilliant and makes me want to plagerize Tom Waits.

    Good luck!

    Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

  7. #7

    Re: Talk to me about drums...

    Thanks. How do the Latin or Jazz EZX compare to the ones in Kontakt or Battery? Or Vintage? With the sale, I'm contemplating whether any of them are worth getting or just similar to what I have. (I try not to overlap my purchases unless something is really worthwhile). Any other EZX that are outstanding that are not already similar to Kontakt, Battery, etc.

  8. #8
    Senior Member playz123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Victoria, Canada
    Posts
    535

    Re: Talk to me about drums...

    Superior Drummer 2 is 24 bit as are its SDXs, while all the EZDrummer related stuff is 16 bit, so if you want quality SD2 is the way to go. It also has way more features and is far more versatile than EZD. The best of both worlds though is to have both products, as they both serve a purpose. I can attest to that. ........playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

  9. #9

    Re: Talk to me about drums...

    Quote Originally Posted by playz123 View Post
    Superior Drummer 2 is 24 bit as are its SDXs, while all the EZDrummer related stuff is 16 bit, so if you want quality SD2 is the way to go. It also has way more features and is far more versatile than EZD. The best of both worlds though is to have both products, as they both serve a purpose. I can attest to that. ........playz
    Can you obtain mix-ready with SD2 as with EZ? I had been under the assumption that SD was more for people who like to set up their drums, mic them, etc as in a studio, and that they were raw/dry to be tweaked. The fact that EZ or SSD were ready to go out of the box was appealing to me.

    There are so many good choices these days and I've already gone through many of them over the years, only to still be searching.

  10. #10
    Senior Member playz123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Victoria, Canada
    Posts
    535

    Re: Talk to me about drums...

    No, the SD kits are not "raw" and are playable as soon as they are loaded without any extra tweaking required. If you wish, you can just load an SD2, EZD, SDX or EZX kit into SD2, and play it, BUT that would also mean one is ignoring all the additional features SD2 has. Like mixing and matching kits and adding extra (X) drums to the kit, balancing the mics, tuning the drums, adding effects like compression and EQ etc. No, one doesn't have to do any of that, but if one takes the time to learn about some of these features, it becomes obvious rather quickly that it's wonderful to have them, and that they are most useful. One also doesn't need to be a 'rocket scientist' to learn and utilize the extra features either. I have a number of drum modules/VSTi(s) and have had over the years, but, for me, Toontrack products are now meeting all my needs and expectations. Hope that helps..............playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •