• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: WOW: Plectrum!

Share/Bookmark

WOW: Plectrum!

I have no idea how this one escaped my knowing about it for so long... but I just got a copy of "Plectrum" by VitalArts...and my head is exploding. These sounds are spectacular! I'm blown away by how evocative the sounds are. Amazing how the tone of a piece can shift when you pluck a piano instead of playing it. Whoever invented this VI, you should win a prize.

- Kerry

Re: WOW: Plectrum!

The demos sound great, but a little too pricey for me with all the other libs I want to buy right now.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Yeah, it is a bit high... I think a $149 would probably move more units of it. But even at the 299 price, I'm really happy with it. The sounds are spectacular... great realism, and very playable.

Kerry

I know! It's awesome . I'm a big fan as well

Listening to the demos I also thinks it's a very interesting library.But 299$ these days is way too much comparing to a lot of stuff.If they bring a group buy I will go in......

+1 for awesome sounding instrument.

+1 for too pricey.

I wish they'd do a group buy. I'd really love to get this but at $300 bones it gets hard to ignore some of the other options. (or the lack of money in one's wallet)

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Thumbs up Re: WOW: Plectrum!

Oops 422$ at Time&Space UK!!! too pricy.

Shakuman.

I'm intrigued that you're so hot for it. I vaguely remember hearing the demos and thinking that it was cool, but not as 'radical' as they make it sound.

I mean it like this... back when I was in school in 1769 or so, there would be a lot of talk about the 'power' of digitally altering sounds! 'Mapping the attack of a piano onto the sustain of a trombone!!!!!!!!' and so on. For some reason, that kind of thing always -read- better than it actually sounded. It actually -sounded- not as mind-blowing as all that. The ad copy for Plectrum -read- better than the actual results.

I felt like I could achieve much the same things by simply layering the odd 'real' stringed instrument with, say, a synth patch and vice versa... or using something like FM or Ogun.

Which means... maybe the demos don't do the thing justice. I'd be interested if you have any examples that you feel really show it's wonderfulness.

TIA,

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by composernyc View Post
    I have no idea how this one escaped my knowing about it for so long... but I just got a copy of "Plectrum" by VitalArts...and my head is exploding. These sounds are spectacular! I'm blown away by how evocative the sounds are. Amazing how the tone of a piece can shift when you pluck a piano instead of playing it. Whoever invented this VI, you should win a prize.

- Kerry

The plucked, picked, strummed sounds are very ambient & very playable, and super-realistic sounding. If I were to try for an analogy, I would say that it's similar to when string sounds weren't so swift, and then Sonic Implants came around and suddenly had these gorgeous-sounding strings that were very "playable" - they automatically sounded good. This is like that. They add a nice touch and a vibe of realism to things... a group buy would probably be a great idea. $299 was a bit much, but I was anxious for something new and different. But at $149-199? Yeah, that'd be easy to swallow.

KErry

Known of this one for a while and although it is nice just not worth what they are asking. I am sure his costs are what they were BUT - giving the options today - just not competitive to get my sample libraries monies.

I'll continue to watch for a sale - but then there may be a 'new girl on the block'.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum