• Register
  • Help

Topic: RMX - Follow Song

Share/Bookmark

RMX - Follow Song

Hi All

Is there any way in RMX to allow a groove to follow the song position in my host DAW (like Omnisphere does?)

Let me explain:

Using PopRock guitars from Nine Volt Audio in GROOVE Mode, so when I press C I get the first pattern, c# gives 2nd pattern, D is 3rd and so on.

I'm using the multis and have the three guitars loaded in RMX channels 1,2 and 3. I'd like to have a bar of just channel 1 playing and then 2 and 3 to come in on bar 2 but in the right position - at the moment they just start playing from the beginning of the bar and it sounds like a train wreck

Of course I could do this easily in SLICE mode, but I then have to have each pattern in it's own RMX channel and I'd easily fill up 8 channels with 8 patterns.

It strikes me that a "follow song position" mode would be great. I thought that "Host Sync " might be useful but it doesn't help at all here.

Is this at all possible, or do I need to wait for RMX2?

TIA

Tim

Re: RMX - Follow Song

You can trigger multiple grooves from a single part by using groove menu mode. They just need to be in the same suite. If the grooves aren't already in the same suite, just add the grooves you want to the Edit Buffer suite. Then use groove menu mode and put the notes which trigger the grooves wherever you want them in the song. Use immediate trigger mode when playing back midi notes from a sequence in groove menu mode.

- Glenn

Glenn

Thanks. I think that's what I'm doing already.

So, I have three channels each in GROOVE Menu mode and each with a number of multi-bar grooves located as a "suite".

I trigger channel 1, at bar 1 and it begins to play. Now in PopRock guitars there are usually two other corresponding grooves that I have placed in channels 2 and 3.

Typically these would all trigger together and sound "nice"

What I'd like to do, is trigger channel 1 at bar 1 (sending it a C) and trigger channels 2 and 3 on bar 2 (sending them a C). What I then need RMX to do is realise that channels 2 and 3 are multi-bar grooves and also start them at bar 2. Normally when you trigger a groove it starts at the beginning.

Normally I guess this isn't a problem as grooves typically work well in 1 bar length, but in the Nine Volt Audio stuff they have chord changes or progressions e.g. A-C-F-G

so, I'd like

ch1 - "A-C-F-G"
    ch2 - " C-F-G"
    ch3 - " C-F-G"

but I get

ch1 - "A-C-F-G"
    ch2 - " A-C-F"
    ch3 - " A-C-F"

I guess on reflection there's no easy way round it as there is no way for RMX to "know" when to trigger things differently.

Oh well

Best

Tim

Try this: Trigger all 3 grooves from bar 1, so all 3 play from the beginning. Put each groove into its own edit group and enable for automation the muting for each edit group. Mute the edit groups for grooves 2 and 3 at bar 1, then unmute them at bar 2.

- Glenn

@Tim:
    If Omnisphere has a Song Position Pointer Mode, I'm pretty sure we will get this in RMX 2 (or whatever the next version will be called). It would be really useful also for Host Sync, which now only works if your song starts at Bar 1. For various reasons, many people start their songs at other bars.

Hope the next RMX comes sooner than later, workarounds are almost never fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Try this: Trigger all 3 grooves from bar 1, so all 3 play from the beginning. Put each groove into its own edit group and enable for automation the muting for each edit group. Mute the edit groups for grooves 2 and 3 at bar 1, then unmute them at bar 2.

- Glenn
    OR, (and I assume everyone knows this), but instead of using groove mode, you *could* use slice mode, load each groove on separate channels, and then just edit the MIDI to cut off the first bar of the grooves.

That obviously might not work for you if you "need" to use groove mode for whatever reason, but it *is* one way to lock those parts into playing WHAT you want, WHEN you want it...

[[ p.s. -- I Nine Volt's stuff!! ]]

Go Back to forum