• Register
  • Help

Topic: gigasampler, the best quality samples?

Share/Bookmark

gigasampler, the best quality samples?

is there anything out there that can produce better quality?
    yes i\'m a newbie in these things(but i\'m enthusaistic too), though i read an article saying its rather revoultionary in its instrument generator system, making the instrument with the best possible quality because of no memory restrictions(gigas, from our HD are being taken away..swiftly..err sorry.)

(shut up!)....yes well, where does that leave us ?

see u
    tchau

Re: gigasampler, the best quality samples?

Hi Arush,

There are some excellent sample libraries available for GigaSampler/Studio that take advantage of its streaming from disc capabilities.

I have got very good results with the Akai S5/6000 series of hardware samplers.

Some of the newer software samplers seem to be receiving high praise (e.g. Halion, which integrates well with the Cubase audio/midi sequencer).

All the various samplers have different relative advantages and disadvantages. It is often considered important what libraries and formats a particular sampler is suited to. Even so, utilities such as CDxtract, Chickensys Translator, Awave Studio, etc. can be helpful/essential.

Best regards
    Nicholas

There is no rule which says that a library developed for Sampler X will be of a particular quality.

There are still samples developed for an old Emulator II which I love to hear. Not because of the pristine 12 bit quality (!) but because the actual personality of the samples shines through the mud.

I\'m sure there are 24 bit samples which have only been released recently which are crap because, at some level, the rest of the recording process was flawed: recording space, , mic\'ing, converters, instrument choice, performance, choice of articulations, sample editing, sampler programming etc.,

One thing is true.

Until Gigastudio (and to a lesser extent HALion) sample libraries were compromised because of the need to fit into the available ram space of a hardware sampler (128mb on a good day, 32 mb commonly) and a need to keep polyphony controlled (128voice on a great day, 32 voices commonly).

Once these restrictions were lifted by Gigasamplers, developers had a very important set of limitations lifted from them. Some talented designers and instrument devotees who would never have bothered putting an instruments together because of these sound length and polyphony restrictions finally found that they would be able to do what they\'d always wanted to.

This is why we are seeing some seriously detailed emulations of instruments available in Giga format, but not elsewhere.

Ask Donnie, Scarbee, Gary Garritan et al., if they would have designed the instruments that they are now marketing if Nemesys had not developed hard disk streaming.

At best, I\'d say you\'ll get answers like \'I might have still done it, but it would not have worked as well\'. Most often, I think the answer would be \'I wouldn\'t have bothered\'.

Hi Chadwick,

You said: \"There are still samples developed for an old Emulator II which I love to hear. Not because of the pristine 12 bit quality (!) but because the actual personality of the samples shines through the mud.\"

I totally agree with you. I still use some samples developed for previous generations of samplers simply because the sounds have such a lovely \'personality\'.

You also said: \"I\'m sure there are 24 bit samples which have only been released recently which are crap because, at some level, the rest of the recording process was flawed: recording space, , mic\'ing, converters, instrument choice, performance, choice of articulations, sample editing, sampler programming etc.,\"

Well expressed Chadwick, and I also totally agree with you here as well. It is really dissapointing to find this so, since one\'s expectations have been (mis-)managed into thinking that these latest sampled intrument efforts should be better. I have found some really poor sounding sampled instruments on some of the more expensive fairly recent CD-ROMs I have bought. (I\'m not going to mention specific examples here though because, to a certain extent, it is a matter of taste! The sampled instruments in some of the demos of recently produced libraries sound poor to my ears, but I still read loads of praise for them from other members of this forum).

Since I use a bank of 9 hardware samplers, including 6 fully loaded Akai S5/6000s, I don\'t usually have to worry about polyphony (736 note!) nor memory (> 1.5 GB of RAM) nor simultaneous effects channels (36 channels). However, the Gigastudio is relatively very cost effective and has many merits.

Best regards
    Nicholas

Go Back to forum