• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius & GPO's Short Bows

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius & GPO's Short Bows

Hello!

Couldn't figure this out on my own, so trying my luck here!

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to working with these things, so my apologies. Currently, I have Sibelius 6 and GPO4. I was wondering if anyone knew how I could access GPO's short bow samples -- or Lush, or any other for that matter -- WITHOUT having to use the annoying "Instrument Change" as a loophole. I tried adding a dictionary entry so I could notate it but the only sound ID that seemed relevant that was there was "+staccato" and that triggered nothing, even while "+tremolo.unmeasured", which I put for the three slashes, triggers the tremolo keyswitch. It's really hard to work with and I was wondering if anyone had a solution? *crosses fingers*
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Re: Sibelius & GPO's Short Bows

Bump.

Any Sibelius users out there know?
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

I use the KS instruments in Sib 6 (Don't have GPO4 yet). Lush sounds are normal notes (or it might be SUS+Short), and Short bows are +staccato.

If these things don't give you the instruments you want, I would suggest downloading the soundset editor from sibelius.com. The soundset is basically the directory for what dictionary entry loads what sample. Mine directs "+staccatto" to activate a keyswitch in Violins 1 KS, et al. If you want "+staccatto" to load a new instrument then you will need the editor to change this.
    Are you using the KS instruments? If not that might be the easiest solution?

I have never used the soundset editor myself, so you may want to ask for some advice in the Sibelius forum.

Am I to take it then that staccattos and attacks, etc. don't work well in GPO4 with Sibelius? I don't want to buy if they don't

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew S Phillips View Post
    I use the KS instruments in Sib 6 (Don't have GPO4 yet). Lush sounds are normal notes (or it might be SUS+Short), and Short bows are +staccato.

If these things don't give you the instruments you want, I would suggest downloading the soundset editor from sibelius.com. The soundset is basically the directory for what dictionary entry loads what sample. Mine directs "+staccatto" to activate a keyswitch in Violins 1 KS, et al. If you want "+staccatto" to load a new instrument then you will need the editor to change this.
    Are you using the KS instruments? If not that might be the easiest solution?

I have never used the soundset editor myself, so you may want to ask for some advice in the Sibelius forum.

Am I to take it then that staccattos and attacks, etc. don't work well in GPO4 with Sibelius? I don't want to buy if they don't

Matt
    Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I'm using the KS instruments as well, other keyswitches (e.g. pizz, tremolo) are working fine. It's just staccato and lush that not working that I need to work. The +staccato doesn't do anything; GPO3 and GPO4. If it's working for you in GPO3, then it should work in GPO4.

So my best bet is editing the soundset, I suppose.

Thanks for the help.

The SoundID for triggering the show bow patch is +short bow. That is what you should edit the staccato articulation to in order to switch to the short bow patch.

Likewise, to switch to the lush patch use +lush.

You might want to spend some time looking at the soundset file. You can gain some understanding of how the soundID system works.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
    The SoundID for triggering the show bow patch is +short bow. That is what you should edit the staccato articulation to in order to switch to the short bow patch.

Likewise, to switch to the lush patch use +lush.

You might want to spend some time looking at the soundset file. You can gain some understanding of how the soundID system works.
    You just saved me a lot of tedious work with instrument changes. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
    You just saved me a lot of tedious work with instrument changes. Thank you!
    You're welcome.

Hi Craig,

This is some very helpful info. NOw rather than having "+staccato" triggering short bow, I have reset it so it has no sound ID (because I sometimes prefer just the simple 50% note duration direction), and I have created a "short bow" dictionary entry with "+short bow" to trigger the short bow sound id when I want it. (I just type "short bow" as technique text and then hide it).

Is there anywhere I could find a list of similar "+sound id" type dictionary entries?
    Thanks,
    Matt

The Sound-ID for each patch is defined in the Soundset file. These .xml files are just text files and can be viewed in any text editor (Notepad in Windows or Textedit in OS X).

You can also download the Soundset editor from Sibelius and view them using that.

This the case here, the KS patch has a Sound-ID of strings.violin.ensemble and the short bows patch is strings.violin.ensemble.short bow . So, the addition +short bow matches the Sound-ID of the show bows patch and Sibelius will select that patch because it matches that Sound-ID.

Go Back to forum