• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kowalski: Eggshell Dances, Complete (Steinway)

Share/Bookmark

Kowalski: Eggshell Dances, Complete (Steinway)

Hi all,

Sorry I've been absent for so long. I've just finished my project Eggshell Dances for piano, which can be found here:

Eggshell Dances

I have uploaded all four dances as mp3 files, as well as the complete score in pdf form. Numbers 1 & 2 were shared here earlier this year, as well as an early version of number 4 (formerly marked #3).

As always, thank you for listening.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: Kowalski: Eggshell Dances, Complete (Steinway)

Hello Jamie Kowalski;
    Beauties, all of them! You are most adroit, I must say! Also I noticed the unusual and effective panning. Beyond that, I listened to "Equilibrium" which I thoroughly enjoyed, and read your bio stuff. While Classical has apparently won as your style, I hear something more at times, jazz. I saw Allan Holdsworth once, in Toronto, that kind of thing, but just as an influence in your music, not at all its general direction, but really enriches it, all the same.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Jamie:

Very well done compositionally and renditionally.........(if that is a word).

Your rhythms propell the music so well and with your beautiful
    piano sound, the short pieces really come to life. This set of
    "dances" would be a great fit for a recital encore as well as
    a definite plus on a regular program.

Great writing and piano production, Jamie.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

A quizzically intriguing set of preludes, Jamie.
    I enjoy the concision of these; the completeness
    of the isolated thoughts. Like all Kowalski... while
    there's less on the page, there's more there than
    meets the eye.

Still say there should be a dozen, though... lol.

All my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

It's silly that nobody else has commented yet on these!

A huge BRAVO from me. A rather scarey venture into relatively unsafe environment for many, but a great enjoynment for me never the less (bless my beared!)

It seems so fresh and so new (although I know it isn't really in any *academic* sense) and it makes me heart shine. The score is also beautiful and you've made me think twice about time signatures above the staff, as opposed the normal way...

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful work. Extremely charming, if I may say so...

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Hello Jamie Kowalski;
    Beauties, all of them! You are most adroit, I must say! Also I noticed the unusual and effective panning.
    Hi, and thank you for your post! To be honest, I'm not sure what might be considered unusual about the panning. The recording uses the default panning settings for the Steinway, using the "close" perspective, and a little bit of ambience. Perhaps that leaves it slightly wider than some commercial recordings?

Beyond that, I listened to "Equilibrium" which I thoroughly enjoyed, and read your bio stuff. While Classical has apparently won as your style, I hear something more at times, jazz. I saw Allan Holdsworth once, in Toronto, that kind of thing, but just as an influence in your music, not at all its general direction, but really enriches it, all the same.
    I'm glad you enjoyed Equilibrium. I think there is much of jazz that has found its way into my music. I'm not sure why, since I really don't listen to much jazz, but there is some that has tickled my ear, and I guess I tend to throw in just about anything that I think works at the moment. I also have a rock background, and that most certainly nudges me in certain directions at times. I recall someone on these forums some time ago telling me that I used a very "Bluegrass" cadence on one piece, though I couldn't for the life of me explain that one!

Thanks again!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Jamie:

Very well done compositionally and renditionally.........(if that is a word).
    Hi Jack!

Good to hear from you, and thanks for stopping by to post.

Your rhythms propell the music so well and with your beautiful piano sound, the short pieces really come to life. This set of "dances" would be a great fit for a recital encore as well as a definite plus on a regular program.
    I am having a great time rediscovering the piano. It was the Garritan Steinway that really got me interested again after a couple of decades of "piano neglect." This is the second set I've composed since getting the library (after Firefly Etudes). It has really made me realize how much I miss owning a real piano.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    A quizzically intriguing set of preludes, Jamie.
    I enjoy the concision of these; the completeness of the isolated thoughts. Like all Kowalski... while there's less on the page, there's more there than meets the eye.
    Hi David!

I very much appreciate these thoughts. You and I have talked several times before about the ideas of streamlining and economy of means, and it's still a very concious part of my writing. These in particular were somewhat inspired by Bach, who is of course a master of the concept.

I have a student I teach counterpoint to, and I brought in the cello suites to demonstrate the way in which Bach could use a single line of notes to imply two or three voices simultaneously. If extracted into its virtual parts, each new voice pushes forward the contrapuntal complexity. Not literally what I was doing, but a very big influence.

Still say there should be a dozen, though... lol.
    I knew this would come up!

But when it's done, it's done. I'm sure you understand this. And imagine having 9 or 10 complete, and no more ideas!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    A huge BRAVO from me. A rather scarey venture into relatively unsafe environment for many, but a great enjoynment for me never the less (bless my beared!)
    Good to hear from you Nikolas, (and your beard?) Thanks for listening to my unsafe music!

It seems so fresh and so new (although I know it isn't really in any *academic* sense) and it makes me heart shine.
    Ah, the eternal struggle to be both "acadmic-new" and approachable! I believe there is much too much music clumped together at the two poles of this spectrum, and not nearly enough that sits closer to the center. In my mind, that leaves acres of untapped fertile ground for fresh ideas. It is a wide spectrum, after all!

The score is also beautiful and you've made me think twice about time signatures above the staff, as opposed the normal way...
    I only recently began using large time signatures, and just for piano scores. I started to get frustrated when doing Firefly Etudes because they were getting in the way of some complex cross-staff and cross-barline beaming. I'm not sure if I'll ever use it for orchestral scores yet.

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful work. Extremely charming, if I may say so...
    And thank you for your comments. Very much appreciated!
    - Jamie Kowalski

Hi Jamie,

listening to these as I write.

In the first one, I very much like to use of pauses, rests; they seem as much a part of the music as the notes - -there is a sense of anticipation.

the second one -- I enjoy the melody, flowing in the beginning and the repetition of notes with other notes drawing away from them at the same time. The harmonies intrigue me -- an area I am still grappling with and will be for some time to come.

the tihird - pensive, slughtly melancholy...lovely, with a jazzy feel. very nice!

the fourth -- i really like the playful feeling of this and the interplay of rhythms!

Really a delight to listen to Jamie! Thanks for posting :-)

Karen

Go Back to forum