I have two questions:

1. Does anyone here know what soundcard will be suitable for me to use with PrintMusic 2010 and the Garritan Authorized Steinway library (computer specs are at the end of this)?

2. Does anyone here know whether most sound cards are compatible with ASIO?

I am planning to purchase a new spiffy computer that will have Realtek ALC888, but neither the manufacturer of the computer (HP) nor MakeMusic can tell me whether that will be what Garritan advises I use for the Steinway library.

The following is from the Garritan FAQ:

What Soundcard Do You Recommend?

People ask us often about soundcards we recommend. Although we cannot recommend specific cards (each system is different), there are many good and inexpensive ones to choose from. Yamaha and M-Audio are brands you may want to research for soundcards. Your soundcard is very important to making music with our software instruments. It is important that you have something a step above a "stock" consumer grade soundcard that comes pre-installed in your computer. Stock soundcards are not designed to handle higher quality sounds and the performance needs of Garritan instruments.

In looking for a soundcard, be sure to look for a low-latency card. Make sure you have a soundcard with adjustable buffers so you can set the latency. Basically, latency is the time it takes to play a sound on your keyboard to when you'll hear it playing from your speakers. There is a inverse relationship between latency and performance. The lower the latency the higher the resource demands. One can often find a sweet spot between latency and performance and each system is different.

Also, the system requirements Garritan publishes on its site include “compatibility with ASIO,” and HP said it doesn't know what that is.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Computer specs:

Configurable- HP Compaq dx7500 Microtower PC
-Configurable- HP Compaq dx7500 Microtower PC - FN838AV
Genuine Windows Vista® Custom Downgrade to XP Pro
Intel® Q45 chipset integrated
HP dx7500 Country Kit Includes a Quick Setup & Getting Started manual in English and a country-specific power cord.
Intel® Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz L2-6MB) processor
3GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) 3x1GB
Integrated 1394 Port
HP Backup and Recovery Manager Software standard
No Removable Storage Media Device
SATA 16X SuperMulti LightScribe drive
HP PS/2 Standard Keyboard
No Mouse
No Item Selected
HP 3-3-3 (parts/labor/next business day on-site) warranty Microtower